Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interfacing IR & ultra sonic sensors to onboard laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjgalway1000

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone out there might possibly be able to give me any help in a project that I am required to do for college. I am required to design and implement an obstacle avoidance system for a robot which has already being made. The robot has an on board laptop, a Mini SSC II servo controller as well as a micocore 11 board for controlling the DC motors. What I am wondering about is what would be the easiest and cheapest way to interface my sensors to the laptop and how difficult would it be to interface them with a USB port as both serial and parallel ports are currently being used to control the servo and dc motors. I have four devantech SRF04 Ultra sonic rangers with built in circuitry as well as four OPTECK reflective object sensors part number OPB608B. I presume I will have to filter and amplify the signal from the IR sensors and put them through an analogue to digital converter but am not sure how best to do this. Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

A USB to Serial port converter would be the easiest way. They cost about 20$ and are plug and play and your programming can interface the Serial port as if it were a normal port.

Brent

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back