Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Input Grounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overclocked

Im [finally] putting together my Audio amp I asked about a few months back (This thread). My Input is from a PC (3.5mm Jack). Does the input ground get connected to my Reference 0V? Or do all input grounds get connected together without being connected to 0V?

My Supply is a dual unregulated supply using a C.T. Toroidal transformer (Basically, I followed Audioguru's advice).

Normally all circuit grounds (common) are connected together and, by definition, are the 0V reference point.

Another question, Does my Ref 0V (circuit ground) get connected to earth Ground? I assumed "No" in my power supply, and left only the powersupply earth grounded for safety reasons.

Another question, Does my Ref 0V (circuit ground) get connected to earth Ground?...
Ordinarily, especially in audio amps, Ref 0V is isolated from earth ground (see below). By comparison, RF transmitters do ordinarily have their system circuits earth grounded.

... I assumed "No" in my power supply, and left only the powersupply earth grounded for safety reasons.
Correct (given your PS design), with a caveat: there are certain "interference" conditions that might suggest a need for an earth ground for your circuit Ref 0V, but I wouldn't worry about them until/unless you experience unexplained or intermittent "noise" in the output of the circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back