Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Injection moulding woes

Status
Not open for further replies.
also it took me a sec to get what was being said, but one direction that could work well is if i 3d printed my unique design then used the printed prototype for the resin cast! But is resin casting quality comparable to that of injection mold? I would like my products case to be comparable to that of a cellphone or tv remote or even similar to the shell of my pickit2. it is outdoor product...

I never used it to cast anything, but did use this to repair an old car (1955 ford) steering wheel once. Pretty much matched the texture and appearance of the original plastic. Lot of good information on the site too. https://www.alumilite.com/

Disregarding the legal problems for now (though I think you are batting on a sticky wicket there):
If you want 10 then 3d printing is the way to go.
If you want 100 then 3d printed resin mould then make yourself.
If you want 1000 then Al mould.
If you want 10,000+ then steel mould.

POLYVINYL ALCOHOL (PVA) is a mold release agent for casting polyester resins.
A Google search for "pva mold release instructions" will give you a lot of good info on casting & mold making.

https://fiberglasssupplydepot.com/PVA-Frequently-Asked-Question.html
For additional information on the benefits of using PVA (particularly on new molds), please read **broken link removed** by Bob Lacovara (Fabrication News, Feb 1991).

The Prop Builder's Molding and Casting Handbook Is about making theatrical props. One section is about making flexible RTV silicone molds that might be perfect for your parts. Also info on latex, plaster and many other methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back