Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Infrared lighting question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyB60

Hi I don’t want to waste anybody’s time or mine, but I just don’t know where to ask. I’d appreciate any advice even if it means pointing me to another forum or site.

Anyway I’m trying to enhance my IR security cameras and I notice I get extra light from overlapping cameras around my house. I was wondering if I were to buy just a infrared light and place it at the a far side of my yard if my existing camera would pick up more of my yard at night. I can see well during the day, by limited at night.

Should work.
I am think of IR LED light for cameras not infrared light as in heat lamp.

Normally I mount IR light sources behind the camera, but I see no reason they can't be mounted some distance from the camera to light a corner of the yard. Don't let the camera see the front side of the light source.

It's a perfectly normal and common thing to do, and there are huge numbers of different IR lights available commercially for just that reason.

Here is an example from a CCTV company not far from me.

**broken link removed**

It's a perfectly normal and common thing to do, and there are huge numbers of different IR lights available commercially for just that reason.

Here is an example from a CCTV company not far from me.

**broken link removed**
Thanks that’s interesting. I have about a 30x 25 ft area in the far corner that is not visible at night. I also have a shed in the corner that has 120v electrical but I didn’t want to go to the expense of adding wireless cameras. Plus I don’t have another channel to plug one in anyway.

This might also solve a problem I have at work as well because almost all of the cameras have lost the infrared due to the sun I guess and it would be easier to install new lights then replacing the cameras.

Thanks, I’ve learned a lot since this question came up and I feel a little silly for even asking it now, but I found out none of the electronic techs at the work knew about it either so I'm not the only one.

I work for a communications and we have been vandalized a lot by copper thieves at our remote microwave sites. We’ve been hit 3 times in the last 2 weeks and we have pretty good video of the 1st time because it was in broad daylight. But our cameras are old and the IR LEDs aren’t working anymore so we don’t have any night video on the last few times.

I told my boss about the 140 Led IR Infrared illuminator that I just purchased for my home and they are going to buy 16 of them. I haven’t received mine yet, but if it gets here before my employer receives theirs, I’m loaning mine to them just to see how much of a difference it will make. They have a much more urgent need than I do at the moment. We’ve had about $25K in damages so far and the crooks seem to be educated because they know exactly what to cut without causing alarm.

Anyway so now that I have gotten into this, it seems that my employee has me as the expert (LOL) and they want me to install all the lights at the sites. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back