Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Information about General Instruments SP1000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjros

HI, anybody have information or datasheet of the very old chip "SP1000" voice sinthetizer
make by General Instruments (actualy Michochip)?

HI, anybody have information or datasheet of the very old chip "SP1000" voice sinthetizer make by General Instruments (actualy Michochip)?

I had a dude on this forum help me with an ancient datasheet, so I thought I could reciprocate here. If you have access to the Byte Magazine archives, you'll find an article by Steve Ciarcia (Circuit Cellar) in the NOV84 issue that uses the SP1000, called "The Lis'Ner 1000." I have the article here in front of me but no way to scan it...

What precisely are you looking for?

Here's some cursory data:

Attachments

• SP1000.PNG
    SP1000.PNG
    100.2 KB · Views: 793
Thanks for yours information, i'm looking in Byte magazine, and your attach.
Anybody know a similar current chip?
Thank you in advance.

Anyone have any scans of the Byte Article handy? I'd look it up myself but I lost my entire collection of Byte magazines years ago (basement flood). In fact, anyone have a Byte magazine collection they'd like to send my way? :) Thanks!

Hey Saturn1bguy,

I'm looking for any information I can get on this chip. I've got a few pieces I purchased back in the early 90's from ACP (remember them?). I never got around to doing anything with the chips because I couldn't find a datasheet for it. I seem to have more time on my hands these days, so I thought I would try to *finally* get this project started up. Alas, still no datasheet to be found anywhere that I've looked. After a search, I was able to find mention of the Nov. 84 Byte article. Of course, I have no Byte mags handy now....

So, to summarize, a sample circuit would be a good start for me. Ideally, I'd have a sample circuit for the voice recognition hookup and speech synthesis hookup. Apparently, the chip is capable of both which makes it that much more cool.

Thanks guys.

Like I said, I have the article but no scanner. What are you looking for?

So, to summarize, a sample circuit would be a good start for me. Ideally, I'd have a sample circuit for the voice recognition hookup...

Okay, here you go, I drew it up for you. The microphone low pass filter cuts out everything below 250Hz; the AGC monitors and adjusts the incoming signal amplitude so it always stays within the range of the ADC (it can adjust the gain from 0 to 42dB, in 6dB steps); the antialiasing filter cuts out all the high frequency clickity-clack from the analog switches; and the ADC converts the resulting audio to an 8bit serial data stream. The remaining logic inputs are for you to decide how best to address (from a micro or equiv.), and software, well, that's altogether something else! I don't know where you're going to find that.

Also, regarding speech synthesis, the Lis'Ner 1000 used an SSI-263 phonetic speech chip in conjunction with the circuit below. I have not added it as it requires that particular chip:

Attachments

• lisner1000.PNG
    lisner1000.PNG
    165.9 KB · Views: 948
Corey,

Awesome! Thank you very much for this. It's just what I was looking for.

Wasn't the SSI-263 the same as the SC-02? If so, I've got a couple of them handy.

Thanks again.

Okay, here you go, I drew it up for you. The microphone low pass filter cuts out everything below 250Hz; the AGC monitors and adjusts the incoming signal amplitude so it always stays within the range of the ADC (it can adjust the gain from 0 to 42dB, in 6dB steps); the antialiasing filter cuts out all the high frequency clickity-clack from the analog switches; and the ADC converts the resulting audio to an 8bit serial data stream. The remaining logic inputs are for you to decide how best to address (from a micro or equiv.), and software, well, that's altogether something else! I don't know where you're going to find that.

Also, regarding speech synthesis, the Lis'Ner 1000 used an SSI-263 phonetic speech chip in conjunction with the circuit below. I have not added it as it requires that particular chip:

Search Results

SP1000 voice Synthesizer
make by General Instruments (actualy Michochip)?

SP1000 Speech Synthesizer, 28 pin DIP made by General Instrument.
Used for a short time in Telephony equipment and for other industrial applications.
Very limited quantities in stock. **broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Sound + Speech Chips/Amps - Arcade Chips

SC-01A

I had a dude on this forum help me with an ancient datasheet, so I thought I could reciprocate here. If you have access to the Byte Magazine archives, you'll find an article by Steve Ciarcia (Circuit Cellar) in the NOV84 issue that uses the SP1000, called "The Lis'Ner 1000." I have the article here in front of me but no way to scan it...

What precisely are you looking for?

Hi, I'd like to attach this device to an FPGA design I have for a robotics
project. Can you tell me if the Byte article covers any of the information
that I can use to do this? Like SP-1000 registers and timing information?
Or does the article just direct you to the datasheets?

I'm really surprised that I haven't been able to find any datasheets for
this device!

I'm a programmer as well, so if the article provides some source code
examples, I could extract the FPGA information from that and perhaps
some rough timing information knowing the processor design the software
runs on.

Thanks!

Rob :eek:)

Hi, I'd like to attach this device to an FPGA design I have for a robotics project. Can you tell me if the Byte article covers any of the information that I can use to do this? Like SP-1000 registers and timing information? Or does the article just direct you to the datasheets?

First, I presume you noticed the two drawings I've already posted. Second, there are no coding examples given in the article. They expect a person to use the advertised development kit (software by Steve Ciacia, Byte, and/or GI; it's not clear who wrote it, only that it was available).

The article provides two flow charts in getting the deed done. If sufficient interest exists, I can reproduce those in the manner I've used before. They show a general procedure, but nothing is given regarding internal register structure, etc. Someone would have to get their hands on the SP1000 programming model before the flow charts would be useful at all. As the chip is a memory-mapped peripheral, obviously there's a lot there one is supposed to be able to access.

The BASIC routines they used implement a discrete-utterance, speaker-dependent model of two major blocks: a training mode and a recognition mode.

Here is what I have on SP1000

sp1000_block-png.23879

Attachments

• SP1000_Block.png
    SP1000_Block.png
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,664
Last edited:
Hotwater, you're killing me! What you posted above is what I created and posted at the beginning of thread :)

Well I thought they didn't pay attention so I put it up there again on the zsecond page, LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back