Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

#include "p16f88.inc" do you need the # ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C compiler or assembler. I suspect assembler. Why? Because C compilers have a standard sytax and semantics. #include is the only way it works. Assemblers on the other hand can be more flexible and probably implement both ways because there were assemblers with pseudo operation codes long before there were C compilers.

If it were up to me I would suggest standardizing on using the # symbol because it draws attention to the fact that something is happening outside of the file that you are in, in a way that the period ( .include ) or nothing at all does not seem to accomplish. That's just my opinion -- your's could vary.

The MicroChip assembler MPASM accepts various styles, over the years different manufacturers have all used different styles - including the formats for numbers in different bases. MicroChip rather cleverly added support for various of these, so people moving from other processors found it easier.

So it's not really a question of 'MicroChip style', but more of 'Motorola style' or 'Intel style'. Personally I came from a 6502 background, and that was more like Motorola than anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back