Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inchworm ICD2 clone review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay.slovak

Hi guys,

I have reviewed very attractive piece of hardware, Inchworm ICD2 programmer/debugger. Please click to see the review. I hope you will find the review helpful. Any comments are welcome.

Jay.

Hi,

First post. :)

Does the kit come with the separate pc board with the ZIF socket? If not, where do I purchase one of those?

Thanks,

John

No it doesn't. The one you can see on the last picture is of my own design.
But, there is going to be a companion board for the Inchworm, with ZIF socket and many other interesting parts.
To read more about Firefly - the companion board, click **broken link removed**.

If I purchase kit #1, how would I be able to interface a PIC to program it? Is there a simple design that I can build to be able to use the programmer now? I'm new to PICs and just ordered the kit so I need a daughter board for the actual PIC.

jduncan459 said:
If I purchase kit #1, how would I be able to interface a PIC to program it? Is there a simple design that I can build to be able to use the programmer now? I'm new to PICs and just ordered the kit so I need a daughter board for the actual PIC.

If it's any help?, here's a version of my 16F876 tutorial board with an InchWorm ICD socket added.

Attachments

• 16F876_Board2.gif
    16F876_Board2.gif
    19.6 KB · Views: 1,002
Hmm.....forgive me as I am new to some of this. I've build simple electronics projects so the construction is not a problem but I want to ensure I haven't misunderstood anything. :D

Your schematic is for a simple programmer or a board I can connect to the Inchworm kit?

Again, forgive my confusion.

Only for programming 28 pin pin PIC's, different size PIC's use different pins, you need to wire a ZIF socket so it can take various PIC's in different positions - being careful not to place 13V on a pin you shouldn't!.

I'm not sure how to wire the ZIF so that I can use the different chip sizes so I guess I will wait for the Firefly companion board to be released. I think it will be easier to learn the programming on a less complex chip than a 28 pin, although I think I'll need the functions of one eventually.

John

I've studied the schematics for a bit and see how it's wired so I can make a pcb for the pic chip until the Firefly is available. Never study schematics until you've had at least two cups of coffee.

;)

Or, just do your test circuit on a Breadboard. That should be easy and fast. PIC requires minimum external components, you should be up and running in minutes.

jduncan459 said:
I've studied the schematics for a bit and see how it's wired so I can make a pcb for the pic chip until the Firefly is available. Never study schematics until you've had at least two cups of coffee.

I can post a veroboard layout if that's any help to you?.

jduncan459 said:
That would be great. I'd appreciate it.

I've got a solderless breadboard here so I can work on it.

OK, here it is!.

Attachments

• 876_top.GIF
    876_top.GIF
    103.9 KB · Views: 425
  • 876_bottom.GIF
    876_bottom.GIF
    116.2 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:
The Firefly PCB is done, looks great. Not happy with my choice of hole diameter for the ZIF socket 0.8mm (I should have used 1mm as some ZIFs are 0.8mm pin width) but you can SQUEEZE it in. Else the PCB went together perfectly and I've just began testing it.

have any body actually build & used because what i consturcted from web sitehttp://www.users.bigpond.com/webspac..._ozipicer.html has really failed to work in spite of all excersize i tried my max so that's
thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back