Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

In need of a large heatsink

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerStrom8

Super Moderator
Hi guys,

Once again I find myself in need of a large heatsink. The parts being mounted to it form a rectangle with dimensions 4.33" x 6.3" (110mm x 160mm), so I'm looking for a heatsink with sides at least those lengths. Unfortunately the parts MUST remain together, so turning them is not an option. If anyone has any large heatsinks laying around unused, feel free to contact me. Maybe we can work out a deal!

Thanks,
Matt

Picture please
The parts being mounted to it form a rectangle with dimensions 4.33" x 6.3"
Are the parts inside the 4x6 rectangle?
Can you use a heat sink with a fan?

Hi Ron, sorry--meant to post a picture before.

The parts are two CM300 half-bridge IGBT modules mounted side-by-side, as seen in this photo underneath the large electrolytic capacitor:

GEDC0084.png

The modules, when placed next to each other like this, make a 4.33" x 6.3" rectangle, so the heat sink would have to be larger than that in order for them to fit. Depending on the style, a heat sink with a fan would be great--I plan to use a fan anyway.

Thanks!
Matt

Thanks for the links, KISS.

I said "large" because it would be nice to have a little extra room to mount other devices, but it's really not necessary. That second link is great, I may use that--the prices are much better than what I was finding on ebay.

Matt

I thought I had the heat sink but not so.
I have a 8 foot lengths of heat sink that is 45mm across and the fin height is 25 or 14mm. Two pieces is not wide enough.
I also have some 3 inch square pieces with fans.
There is also a 8 foot length of "audio amp TO-3 " heat sink but the fins are on both sides. The big mill is not running so I can't mill off some of the fins.
I can send pictures.

Thanks Ron and KISS.

KeepItSimpleStupid , it looks like the shipping costs are really where they get you on HeatsinkUSA. It'll cost $35 to get the smallest usable size, and while that may seem cheap overall, I really need to watch how much I spend on this project. I am significantly over-budget as it is :p

I am actually hoping to sell off some of my older stuff, or things I bought and realized I wouldn't need....

Thanks again,
Matt

From theor site:

We sell our heatsinks by the inch. We charge a low flat fee of $5.00 on every order, which covers any number of horizontal cuts (prepaid and/or web orders only). For detailed instructions on HOW TO ORDER click here to visit our FAQ page. Vertical cuts are possible as well for an additional cut fee. Any order requiring vertical cuts must be placed by phone.

Lead times vary, however, the vast majority of our orders are shipped the next business day. In some cases, we can ship same day for a $25.00 charge. Please call for availability to ship same day.

International Customers: If during checkout you do not receive a valid shipping option, it may be due to the content of your cart (weight), please contact us for a quote. Also, when purchasing lengths under 12", we may be able to reduce your shipping costs by using flat rate boxes from USPS. Please call or email us if you feel this may be an option for you.

It should fit into a USPS flat rate box for about $6.00 shipping + their $5.00 handling. US sipping usually runs about $10-$12 minimum.

I'll keep looking over my options, but that does seem the most promising at this point. Thanks a lot KISS!

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back