Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I'm not the only one that hates XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
As many of you know, i recently switched from stupid XP to linux. I have not crashed a SINGLE time, nor has my computer frozen a SINGLE time, even though i may be running 10 different things at once.

Ill admit that the programs that come with linux may not be to a finished product yet, but even when they freeze it does not freeze the whole system.

I also like linux because its different, everybody and their brother has windows. This leads to no viruses being made for linux because of such a small audience.

Linux is free!

Linux is open-source, which makes for easy modification for very advanced users.

Exo said:
@Nigel:
I thought most modern printers worked with postscript ?

Only a very few expensive ones do, postscript has never been very popular, mainly due to the expense of licencing it from Adobe, plus the processing cost in the printer.

Just remember this everyone.....

Windows is 32-bit extensions, to a 16-bit patch on an 8-bit operating system written for a 4-bit processor designed by a 2-bit company who don't like 1-bit of competition :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have to admit I am really struggling to make the move to XP I guess someday I am going to have to make the plunge!!!

PLUS MS had the nerve to rewrite many of the system interrupts (hence, virtual mode).

That makes no sense to me ? what do you mean by this ?
Ok, write an asembler program that calls the function to reset the mouse (interrupt 33, AX = 0).

In DOS, there is a delay, because the mouse is actually being reset. In Windows, this is bypassed, because when Windows is loaded, it controls the interrupts.

That's because you are in a MULTITASKING enviroment.
You can't expect your program to get direct hardware control of a device that is used by multiple programs.

Off course windows eventually is the only one REALY controlling the mouse.

Would be quite a mess if every program would take control for itself alone.

And it isnt called 'virtual mode'. It's called 'The mouse driver is embedded in windows itself'.

I've been using XP and Win2000 for quite some time now and I like them both. Just make sure if you go with XP to use Pro because Home edition is not nearly as good. I like the compatibility mode of the XP because sometimes I have to run older programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back