Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I'm exhausted, and a newb...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Len. thanks for the drawing, will try pick up that chip tomorrow. Few questions about the details:

1. I take it because Gs, and E0 are outputs, I can obviously leave them disconnected, or open. I see pin 7 is an input, thus I understand why its connected high, in order to eliminate it activating. What I'm not too sure about is why did you connect pin 16 and 8 together with what looks like a 100nF capacitor?

The rest of the circuit looks very straight forward. I also went through the truth table and checked out all the logic, seems perfect.

Franknstein said:
Hey Len. thanks for the drawing, You're welcome. will try pick up that chip tomorrow. Few questions about the details:

1. I take it because Gs, and E0 are outputs, I can obviously leave them disconnected, or open. Yes. I see pin 7 (I think you mean pin 4) is an input, thus I understand why its connected high, in order to eliminate it activating. Yes. Pins 4, 5 & 10 are inputs and must be defined. What I'm not too sure about is why did you connect pin 16 and 8 together with what looks like a 100nF capacitor? See below.

The rest of the circuit looks very straight forward. I also went through the truth table and checked out all the logic, seems perfect. Good.
The 100 nF cap is a bypass cap. (use a ceramic cap) Normally it is essential to install bypass caps - about 1 per 2 ICs. This prevents unwanted coupling via the supply line that can cause strange effects.

In your case, you only have gating ICs, ie. no Flip Flops, counters, shift registers etc. so it may not matter. However, I recommend you install one in order to guard against the possibility of odd effects.

Harmony is a funny thing =)

Just a reference to ljcox warning about 'odd effects' without bypass caps. If there are no bypass caps the circuits will capacitively feedback on one another. The harmonic effects that occur with that coupling are not predictable. Harmonics, especially in digital circuits are usually odd harmonics. He said 'odd effects' I thought that was kind of harmonious with harmonics =>

One of the most wonderful musical contrivances is the barber shop quartet. If you want to hear harmonic effect first hand, get ONE of them drunk.

Hi all. I have ordered those IC's for the new 7-segment LED addition, and the suppliers are taking their sweet time with it. Still very keen to make this circuit, just waiting for them. I also have a show coming up where I have to take my simulation systems, so I am really busy getting ready for it. Will let you know when I begin working on the new circuit. Thanks to all.

Hello, this is my first message in the forum. I am Spanish, and my english level is not high. Excuse me if they dont understand anything. I have read the thread for a long time, and I dont know if with these schemes I can make a H shifter for the steering wheel of xbox360. if somebody speak Spanish and it can help me, I will thank you so much.

Thanks.

Hi grangerardo

This circuit is very specific for getting a pre-made act-labs shifter working with USB.

If you would like to build your own shifter, I would suggest checking this forum out:

**broken link removed**

Hit me a pm if you have any questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back