Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ILI9341 TFT Display: switching Row/Column order

Status
Not open for further replies.

poofjunior

Hi everyone,

I'm driving an **broken link removed** with an FPGA at ~100 MHz. (It works!)

Right now, the display currently accepts data as 320 lines of length 240. I'm trying to stream a camera image from an **broken link removed**, but the output of the camera is 240 lines of 320 (I think this is conventional). Does anyone know if there are settings on the ILI9341 that will enable me to switch the order of the writes?

Thanks!

Datasheet for the ILI9341

QVGA is 1/4 resolution of std VGA or 640H x 480V for landscape displays.
For portrait displays it is rotated.

From my superficial inspection this chip supports XY translation. **broken link removed**

Thanks Tony!
Crunching through that library and the datasheet answered my question. To switch the screen orientation, you must adjust the settings in the memory access control register (MADCTL). MADCTL is 0x36 in the ILI9341's memory. This is a great feature to know about, but the documentation is a bit spread out in the datasheet.

Just to clear things up, I had to set:
MADCTL to 0x20,
CASET param 1 to 0x00,
CASET param 2 to 0x00,
CASET param 3 to 0x01,
CASET param 4 to 0x3F,
PASET param 1 to 0x00,
PASET param 2 to 0x00,
PASET param 3 to 0x00,
PASET param 4 to 0xEF.

Data is now output in landscape mode; i.e: the display accepts and displays 240 rows of length 320. (aka: normal 320x240)

Here's a pic from the datasheet that indicates what I've done (pg 208):

xyExchange.png

Last edited:
huh? the video isn't full scale analog and LPF destroys the signal. I think he wrote on wrong thread....

This design reminds me of my design of the world's smallest TV in a headset circa Y2K long before Google Glasses.

It was made my us (C-MAC) and we made 100 prototypes, called the M1 for Liquid Image. ( for Tony Havelka)

Took it to COMDEX and beat MOT to the market with a product that worked. But $1k pricetag for proto at that time was high.

I used my own sync design to capture VGA, TV or video from an ultrasonic monitor ( each somewhat different) using the microslice Kopin chip with Altera FPGA.

The beltpack had buttons for moving the image X,Y offset and zoom, intended for industrial market with wearable 'puters or hog farmers who needed hands-free fetal inspection of livestock.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back