Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

If you love LEDs on computers I'm sure you wanted one of these.

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueroomelectronics

It's an old CM-5 from thinking machines. Thousands of LEDs for the thousands of tiny microprocessors. Blinking and flashing.
**broken link removed**

Hi Bill,

But I want to display hexadecimal and will they work for 12 months from a 9v battery?:D
Can you post the driver code, preferably written in Cobol and I need it by tomorrow:p

Eric

cool!! i wonder if once they all flashed to form a word:D
could you please send me the circuit diagram also my email is ispamtoomuch@spammerland.com:D :D :D :D :D

Hi Eric,
LEDs use a lot of power.
A little PP3 9V alkaline battery has a very low amount of power and can light a single LED at 27mA for only about 32 hours, dimming all the time. After only 6 hours the 9V battery voltage is only 7V. After 20 hours the voltage is 6.2V and at 32 hours the voltage is 4V.

One year has 8760 hours. A little PP3 alkaline battery can supply only 0.1mA for one year.
An LED hex display with an average of 12 segments lighted at 10mA each uses 120mA.

Use an LCD display. It uses a very low amount of power if it is not lighted.

audioguru said:
Hi Eric,
LEDs use a lot of power.
A little PP3 9V alkaline battery has a very low amount of power and can light a single LED at 27mA for only about 32 hours, dimming all the time. After only 6 hours the 9V battery voltage is only 7V. After 20 hours the voltage is 6.2V and at 32 hours the voltage is 4V.

One year has 8760 hours. A little PP3 alkaline battery can supply only 0.1mA for one year.
An LED hex display with an average of 12 segments lighted at 10mA each uses 120mA.

hi agu,
Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I must apologise to you, I was making a joke reply for Bill's OP.
Its back fired on me:eek:

I owe you one!

Regards
Eric

ericgibbs said:
Hi Bill,

But I want to display hexadecimal and will they work for 12 months from a 9v battery?:D
Can you post the driver code, preferably written in Cobol and I need it by tomorrow:p

Eric

No soup for you.

ericgibbs said:
hi agu,
Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I must apologise to you, I was making a joke reply for Bill's OP.
Its back fired on me:eek:

I owe you one!

Regards
Eric

Now I could build it but it would be very very dim...

LOL sadly someone will probably seriously reqest that.
I like the posts that go... I have a 30W supply but I need 600W how do I build an adapter.

blueroomelectronics said:
It's an old CM-5 from thinking machines. Thousands of LEDs for the thousands of tiny microprocessors. Blinking and flashing.

Hello Dear Sirs,

Thank you and congradulations on your postings of many leds project. I am current graduating training at university and needing assist with final project. I wish to create many leds but free power from sun with wireless gsm. Please help, I need to submit proposal by this end of month.

my email is sungradu@hotmails.com

thanks you!

just some humor guys, no need to reply :)

No soup for you.

hi Bill,
Never mind the soup, I've just eaten 'crow' for audioguru!:p

Eric

ROTFLMAS

I love the internet, now here's a creative fellow. Completly off topic...
https://www.afrigadget.com/2007/06/21/the-knife-sharpening-bicycle/

Bill,
Ive actually seen this working recently in SouthAfrica.

Back in the UK during the 1930 and 1940's a guy would visit our neighbourhood about once a month and he used this exact setup,,, not joking.

Sharpened knives, scissors and the like

Eric

ericgibbs said:
Bill,
Back in the UK during the 1930 and 1940's a guy would visit our neighbourhood about once a month and he used this exact setup,,, not joking.
Sharpened knives, scissors and the like
Eric

I have seen this setup in the UK, probably until the late 50s.
A very practical solution.

JimB

I have a 30W supply but I need 600W how do I build an adapter.
Some people think that an amplifier can boost a 30W supply to an output of 600W.
I think it would take a miracle to do that.

its a built in keyboard:p :D :D :D or should i say switchboard?:D :D :D

Nigel Goodwin said:
It was commonplace all over Europe - bit before my time though! :p

hi,
Even back then the UK was at the "cutting edge of technology":D

Eric

So as not to cause any confusion about the above statement,
"cutting edge of technology",
means the sharpening of cutting tools.:rolleyes:

audioguru said:
Hi Eric,
LEDs use a lot of power.

Of course it's perfectly possible, he didn't say how big the 9V battery is or how many rooms in is house he has spare to cram with batteries.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back