Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Id circuit board part

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Lundmark

Trying to id a part on a controller board for an irrigation system. The part is cylindrical, silver, no markings, 5.8 mm x 1.7 mm. Might be a crystal or oscillator. Board has marking Y2 on it. Any ideas, cannot find a diagram. Thanks, photo attached

Attachments

• 20170725_132451.jpg
    20170725_132451.jpg
    781.8 KB · Views: 227
Try adding a photo of where it came from. The board might give us a better clue as to what it is.

Mike.

Tried to add Picture of board, located at Y2, message file too large, how do i attach, thanks
You probably have a very large picture. Try editing (crop) the file to make it smaller. Most editors also have a way to reduce the file size.

'Y' is often used as a PCB designator for a crystal, so I am agreeing with Nigel on this one.

What's on the other side of the board? Do you see an IC connected directly to the pins of Y2?

Yep, crystal. the next step is what are all of the numbers on the big chip?

One corner of the chip should be "different" than the other 3. That's pin 1. Start counting CCW and what pins are Y1 connected to?

One corner of the chip should be "different" than the other 3. That's pin 1.
To clarify, one of the corners may be flattened rather than coming to a point, or perhaps there is a dot on the plastic. That is the pin 1 designator.

Not sure which corner is different. Photo of chip attached. Cannot locate Y1. Advise, thanks

Attachments

• 20170730_142349.jpg
    20170730_142349.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 205
I see several different 32khz crystals. Will any work or should i be looking at a specific series or other parameter. Thanks

They all seem pretty well the same, I usually get mine out of old equipment :D

A good source is old VCR remote controls, which have an LCD display on them - it's easier to find them inside the remote, rather than inside the VCR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back