Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ICD2 Compatable + PCB layout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it always newbies who bump the old posts ?
It is one of the unintended consequences of the forum rule that
new users cannot start their own thread until they have been members for a certain time. So they hijack an existing one.

Thanks for the Sharing this man

i will come up with some Questions

And i also want to Thanks all the Members of this Forums its Rocking man.

Cheers
HallMark

Hi Mike

I'm Unghietta from Italy. I'm getting crazy trying to make work an ICD2 clone, the one from Stolz because I cannot get the bootloader for the 16F876A and I haven't realized yet the correct procedures to pass from a piece of hardware (the already checked self made Stolz schematic) from a working ICD2 serial connection debugger/programmer.
Would you mind to help me in this titanical challenge?
Thanks in advance...

:(

This is why I buy my programmers =) You can buy ICD2 clones for less than 20 bucks, and they're garunteed to work. Of all the electronics things you can buy a simple programmer is one of the highest on my list. It saves all the headaches you have if you can't get it to work.

That being said.
What's wrong with the one you've made? Post the schematic and take some good non blurry well lit pictures of your programmer (both sides) and post them so we have a clue where to start helping you =)

Thank you Sceadwian for your interest.
You're right, but I'm almost an absolute beginner and because I have some time to spend I've tried to DIY way...

the schematics is here
**broken link removed**
and it seems to be a pretty reliable one.

I was calling Mike K8LH because he said he CAN DO IT!!! He can run this hardware with the 16F876A!!!

But if you or one of the kind guys out there can help me, I won't disturbe Mike anymore...
;-)

blueroom, that's why I recommend him buying a programmer.

dear new friends, thanks, but... I've already done it...
the problem, I guess, are the correct files for bootloading the 16F876A and the correct ICD2 operative system...

could anybody write down for me the list of the correct procedures?
could anybody say that: "the ICD2 Clone schematics from Stolz works fine and the files are 1. XXXX and 2. YYYY"?

of course, if you are planning a trip in Italy let me know this, you got someone to contact in Milano!!! (myself, I mean..)

I never understood the point of a programmer that requires a programmer to program the programmers chip.. Programmer programmer programmer. Sorry thought this post needed a few more =)

I never understood the point of a programmer that requires a programmer to program the programmers chip.. Programmer programmer programmer. Sorry thought this post needed a few more =)
Would you expect to construct a machine tool like a turning lathe or mill without machine tools.

You can but the results are crude and the first thing you should build using them are more/better tools.

Same with programmers. If you want to boot strap yourself you build a simple programmer. Then use it to build a better one with ICD etc.

3V0 The thing is, there are ISP programmers for pics out there that require NO IC's. Just a few transistors and resistors from a parallel port and software. They're becoming less common though because it's getting harder and harder for software to get direct access to the paralel port, pretty much rule it out on a Vista machine, and you need a special driver on XP machines.

By the time you add up the parts costs for getting a solid built programmer where you have a clue of what you're doing you're already in twice as far on cost as if you'd just pony'd up and bought a cheap programmer from any one of the hundreds of sites that sell them =) The time it saves ALONE is worth it, and you don't want your first (I know nothing) project to be something that complicated. Buy a programmer and then you can struggle blinking LED's =)

Last edited:
If all a body wants to do is flash chips with existing hex files then a simple programmer will do. They will even work for the person who is happy with printf style debugging.

The PICkit2 and ICD2 (and their clones) provide In Circuit Debugging. Simulators are great but they are not always right. It is easier to debug using the real target. Less setup.

When a Junebugs or Inchworms fail I can fix it. That is a good thing. So far it has happened twice. Both were fixed by replacing the processor. I can not say the same for 2 dead ICD2 clone SMD programmers I purchased.

The PICkit2 is a bit of a swiss army knife. In addition to programming, it can also function as a simple 4 chan LA, USB to 4 bit TTL output, and TTL to USB serial connection.

3v0

You could buy a preprogrammed PIC. This one will work with the programmer on **broken link removed** and **broken link removed** the one you mentioned.
Or as mentioned by Sceadwian, try the **broken link removed** type programmer. Beware that these simple programmers will not work with all computers and their different serial ports.

Last edited:
It will work with Windows 95/98 or XP if you get a drive called giveio which allows direct access to the parallel port, I don't believe it will work under Vista at all. As the years go by and they get harder and harder to find I'm going to miss the good old parallel port, it was such an easy way to hook up electronics to a computer.

Hello. Sorry I haven't read this whole thread - just found this searching Google. What you describe is what I'm looking for. I need an *inexpensive* programmer-only that I can send out to my customers such that they can easily upgrade our product on site rather than having to send back to us when we release an upcoming firmware update. Downtime for the customers is an issue. Granted, we should have designed our product with a USB interface but we didn't.

We currently use the Microchip MPLAB ICD 2 to program our boards. That's obviously far too expensive to send out to customers plus it is severe overkill. We just want them to program the hex files and that's it.

Our boards have a modular jack to accept the ICD 2's RJ-11 (12?) cable so that's what the programmer would have to have.

Say I need 100+ of these.

Anyone here can help?

Sorry if this post is inappropriate in any way. Thank you and have a nice day.

- London

If all a body wants to do is flash chips with existing hex files then a simple programmer will do. They will even work for the person who is happy with printf style debugging.

The PICkit2 and ICD2 (and their clones) provide In Circuit Debugging. Simulators are great but they are not always right. It is easier to debug using the real target. Less setup.

When a Junebugs or Inchworms fail I can fix it. That is a good thing. So far it has happened twice. Both were fixed by replacing the processor. I can not say the same for 2 dead ICD2 clone SMD programmers I purchased.

The PICkit2 is a bit of a swiss army knife. In addition to programming, it can also function as a simple 4 chan LA, USB to 4 bit TTL output, and TTL to USB serial connection.

3v0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back