Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ICD2 Compatable + PCB layout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Opps Q3 was wrong in previous post.

Attachments

• Inchworm Top.gif
    Inchworm Top.gif
    28.2 KB · Views: 595
  • Inchworm PCB view.gif
    Inchworm PCB view.gif
    23.9 KB · Views: 407
Thanks William.. Gonna pull it and photoshop it (need it white background with black traces to do the photopaper PCB, which works VERY well, but I hate the drilling part.)..

Have a new laser drum so looking for a project, thanks again. Tomorrow I will order your PIC, Mike's pic and some Tiny13's for another projects.

Are the transistors EBC, will be using 2N3904 and 2N3096 (as Mike pointed out).

Off to find the bootloader for the 877 next. I see 877 and 877A. Is this different chips and code? Either interchangable? I will pull both.

OH, I think I better see if me P16PRO40 does that chip before I start. :)

mramos1 said:
Are the transistors EBC, will be using 2N3904 and 2N3096 (as Mike pointed out).
Doh! This could have been a disaster. Sorry. I forgot to mention the 'BC' transistor silk screens are backwards for the 2N3904/2N3906 transistors. Put the flat side of the 2N3904/2N3906 transistors opposite the silk screen.

Off to find the bootloader for the 877 next. I see 877 and 877A. Is this different chips and code? Either interchangable? I will pull both.
The '877/'876 bootloader is different from the '877A/'876A bootloader.

OH, I think I better see if me P16PRO40 does that chip before I start. :)
It should. Which software are you using with your P16PRO40?

Have fun. Regards, Mike

Last edited:
Thanks Mike..

hehehe.. glad I asked. I would have looked. I am holding the photo paper.
Ready to go cut copper and turn on the iron.

So if I can burn an "A" I should use an "A" and get the "A" bootloader? But just match them up.

On the programmer software. winpicprog and winpic..

Picture of William's inchworm. Need to drill and order the PIC chip. Have all the other parts I am sure.

Attachments

• inchworm.jpg
    inchworm.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 586
mramos1 said:
Picture of William's inchworm. Need to drill and order the PIC chip. Have all the other parts I am sure.

Awesome mramos1 well done.

The coax power plug, make sure you've got one that fits before drilling. I found so many different types.

Make sure your project is 5V as power is not isolated. You can power the Inchworm from the target. Don't have to install the regulator or D1 & D2

PS Cx is for not so stable wall warts.

William At MyBlueRoom said:
Awesome mramos1 well done.

The coax power plug, make sure you've got one that fits before drilling. I found so many different types.

Yea, I have the tabbed kind, was gonna to that.
Make sure your project is 5V as power is not isolated. You can power the Inchworm from the target. Don't have to install the regulator or D1 & D2

I was going for ICD, so I will probably run off the target to start, but have lots on 7805. I will have to dig for the max 202/232 parts bag. Have not seen them in some.

Also, on the bench I have 5VDC regulated power, so I will be ready to rumble.

Thanks guys. Mike: I will remember the transistors for sure, hehehe.

But I do not think I will beat Bill, now if I had an 877 laying around. hahaha..

I did it with photo inkjet paper in a laser printer. Takes 1/2-1 hour to print, wait on my wifes fancy iron to know I really want it to get hot (you have to tilt them now to turn them on), then soak in warm water and then toothbush it off. Works well, I use Staples picture paper, but sure others will work. I will know when I run out of the paper.

Parking it for 4th, as wife is giving me the eye (and I have a small rust stain to clean) plus I do not have the chip. Waned to get it all together but sometime it just does not happen.

Hope it works. Will save a couple bucks for sure.

mramos1 said:
But I do not think I will beat Bill, now if I had an 877 laying around. hahaha..
I've got a hand wired version works like a charm does that count?, my PICStart is collecting dust. These ICD2s are so much faster at programming.

I also use a 5v switch mode wall adapter, love it. Hate LM7805s but they're common and you can sub it with scads of better parts.

I've sent the design off to China, although the locals (Toronto) are good I want to make sure the drill data is spot on so a small run of 50 seems right.

In Toronto qty 250 they work out to $2.50 each Single sided is the way to go if you can.

I've had zero luck with the A parts, perhaps they're too slow (not marked -20 does that make them 4MHz) The stores in Toronto don't know what speed they sell :confused:

Least I can get those funky BC548B & BC558B transistors, I do prefer 2N39xx though.

Lastly the voltage multiplier works like this...

VIN (+5V)

VIN * 2 (the max232) - the two diode drops in the max232 0.3*2 = 9.4V
then the 1.5 multiplier D5, D6 & C8
VPP = 9.4 * 1.5 - 0.7 * 2 = 12.7V
Then subtract Q3 ~ 0.6v you'll get 12.1V

It's worked on all the PICs I've thrown at it. If you think you need a higher VPP use 1N5819s for D5 & D6.

Last edited:
William At MyBlueRoom said:
I've had zero luck with the A parts, perhaps they're too slow (not marked -20 does that make them 4MHz) The stores in Toronto don't know what speed they sell :confused:

All new 16F A parts run at 20Mhz. There are no 'speed grades' with A revision.

What do you mean 'BootladerA.hex' ?
There are only two ICD2 bootloader versions:

BL10101.HEX for non-A parts and
661.HEX for A parts

If you program wrong bootloader, you will have problems with updating OS.

I wonder if you might be skipping a step?

That 661.hex file actually contained a bootloader and an old OS. The "bootloader_A" file is just a modified bootloader. I had to use the "Download ICD2 Operating System" command from the <Programmer> menu after connecting for the first time.

Mike

Ok, I just burned a brand spankin' new 16F876A with that "ICD2_Bootloader_A.hex" file and downloaded an operating system and it works fine.

- Select Programmer "MPLAB ICD 2"
- Select COM1 from the Settings menu
- Select "Connect" menu item (gives ICDWARN0034 message)
- Select "Download ICD2 Operating System" menu item

You should see something similar to the screen below.

Mike
icd2-a-jpg.8555

Attachments

• ICD2-A.JPG
    ICD2-A.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,170
Last edited:
Jay.slovak said:
What do you mean 'BootladerA.hex' ?
There are only two ICD2 bootloader versions:

BL10101.HEX for non-A parts and
661.HEX for A parts

If you program wrong bootloader, you will have problems with updating OS.
Jay,

There's another version I uploaded in another thread called "ICD2_Bootloader_A.hex" which is the BL10101.HEX modified "A" bootloader file for the "A" parts.

That 661.HEX file that's been floating around forever contains the BL10101.HEX modified "A" bootloader as well as an ICD2 Operating System from an MPLAB 6.61 version.

Sorry for any confusion. Mike

Thanks for the Info. I didn't know there was an 'A' version without OS. Where did you find this version? Did you modify the original bootloader yourself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back