Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I want to damage... Not repair...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yun Tao

OK guys first poster here... Ω

I need to know how to make a logic board from a PC stop working without doing any visible damage... Either the video card or processor... preferably just random circuits...

And then I need to know how to fix them back again... if it an be possible...

Thanks in Advance!!

YT

A teaspoonful of saturated salt solution onto some parts of the circuit board may cause flaky operation. Rinsing the salt off the board may restore operation.

So let me get this strait. You want make the processor FAIL to work, then fix it? It's not quite April Fools yet.

There is no reasonable way to do this. If you destroy it, it is destroyed. If you want to scare someone into thinking their computer is fried, don't actually fry it.There is also no logical application behind this act that i can think of!

Fool the processor into thinking one of the fans is not operating separate the fan speed sensor wire strip the wire and twist it together.

Then tie some fishing line around the wire when you want to pull the other end and wait for the processor to go into shut down.

Still does not make sense but who am I. You'll get the answer somewhere.

kv

Last edited:
You may get better advice if you explained why you want to do this. I personally won't take part in any vandalism or in some kind of scam. However, there are simple ways into fouling your computer that would take a matter of seconds to correct. Without explaining your motives or ideas, you kind of sound like a jerk.

Well back in some of my computer hardware troubleshooting classes (back when one did component level repair) they use to put scotch tape over connector traces so no contact was being made on a specific signal that passed through the connector. They would then make us troubleshoot and isolate the problem but we couldn't disconnect any connectors for visual checks, just logic and scoping methods allowed.

Lefty

Last edited:
**broken link removed**

I am just a dick enough to help out on this.

Plus as Forrest said "Stupid is as stupid does!"
You go to jail or get your ass beat down in a parking lot some night you will learn from it. I promise!

Pull a few bypass capacitors off near the ICs. This should give enough noise going into the IC's to cause odd glitchs and likely shut downs but usualy not fry them. Usualy.

Carefull who's garden you steal from. Some plant landmines in with the veggies you want so bad!

I have a simple method that I use occasionally.

Once or twice I have repaired computers for people only to find that when it comes time for them to pay they apologise and say something like "I don't actually get paid until Friday. Could I pay you then ?"

My method is that I place a small program in the machine that waits 10 days and then pops up a reminder screen that can only be closed after a period of time, this period increases each day for a further 10 days. after this period the machine starts windows and immediately closes down.

This is not a virus as it will only affect the machine involved and once payment is made in full simply entering a code will remove the program completely. It does tend to work as I have had no more problems with people failing to pay.

It also runs in safe mode and does not show up in Task manager or the registry.

nice!
I built a custom digital boiler controler for a guy once. Same problem too. got it put in and working great! No money to pay for it when it was set up and running. The control sytem integrated one boiler into heating his house, his parents house, and his dads shop.
They said they could not pay either and wondered if I would take $20 a month? $1000 install by the the way. I said sure. I will just lock the PLC and send you the unlock code when I am payed in full.
His mom came out with the $1000 in cash about 5 minutes later!
Still a regular customer but one of three that I have on lifetime cash up front service plans!

It certainly works. Some people may say that it's not ethical but then again neither is arranging for work to be done without the means to pay or without the intention to pay.

And you guys call yourselves tech's, FOR SHAME! :rolleyes:Everyone knows the best way to destroy electronics is to apply an old hand crank megger to the board (after the fuse of course). Amateurs!:D

And you guys call yourselves tech's, FOR SHAME! :rolleyes:Everyone knows the best way to destroy electronics is to apply an old hand crank megger to the board (after the fuse of course). Amateurs!:D

Oh yea, and then you can turn the megger crank backwards when you want to restore the 'temporary' damage, what could go wrong with that.

If you had read the OP he needed a reversible fault.

Lefty

With reference to yourself now I presume?

Why hasn't this thread been locked?

Believe it or not, this thread is actualy a good referance point for electronics teachers. If you wan to teach students hands on trouble shooting being able to cause glitches that do not actualy kill a board is rather handy.

I have a simple method that I use occasionally.

My method is that I place a small program in the machine that waits 10 days and then pops up a reminder screen that can only be closed after a period of time, this period increases each day for a further 10 days. after this period the machine starts windows and immediately closes down.

This is not a virus as it will only affect the machine involved and once payment is made in full simply entering a code will remove the program completely. It does tend to work as I have had no more problems with people failing to pay.

It also runs in safe mode and does not show up in Task manager or the registry.

DAMN that is cool, Scary but cool.

To the OP: Does it have to be physical damage, also is this a laptop or a desktop?

If its a lappy then I would suggest simply placing a piece of papper or leccy tape over the RAM contact points, but this would rely upon the person in question being fairly un-computer-savvy.
BTW would yopu please explain WHY you wish to do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back