Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I turned 50 today. Feel like a dinosaur. How old are you guys???

Status
Not open for further replies.
My respects sir.
My brother used to be a 2nd mechanic.

Don't worry if no one's interested in learning from you about your job. It's their loss

Hi

Much the same for me as atferrari.
But on a MUCH smaller scale for me. I was never a Captain or anything.

CRT is dead mostly everywhere except where gullible people can buy cheap stuff dumped by....you know who :mad:
I believe that I am seeing the very last dregs of all and anything that is CRT related...sets put together with bits and pieces from other rubbish.

Looks nice outside. Inside is a horror scene. Where the Tubes are coming from is anybody's guess...some are so rusted (metal areas),
a wet garden somewhere maybe?? Some Toshiba dual focus pin Tubes popping up too now...with the Modded Focus arrangement.

Absolute trash day in and day out for me now. No spares available. Waste of time and a career change necessary for me.

Let stupids dump the rubbish they bring here for repair themselves. The Tip is close. I will happily show them where it is.

Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
CRT is dead mostly everywhere except where gullible people can buy cheap stuff dumped by....you know who :mad:
I believe that I am seeing the very last dregs of all and anything that is CRT related...sets put together with bits and pieces from other rubbish.

Looks nice outside. Inside is a horror scene. Where the Tubes are coming from is anybody's guess...some are so rusted (metal areas),
a wet garden somewhere maybe?? Some Toshiba dual focus pin Tubes popping up too now...with the Modded Focus arrangement.

Absolute trash day in and day out for me now. No spares available. Waste of time and a career change necessary for me.

Let stupids dump the rubbish they bring here for repair themselves. The Tip is close. I will happily show them where it is.

Regards,
tvtech

I love CRT only for breaking-it-apart purposes.... the coils are an excellent source of generator winding back then when I was crazy about generators.

Err I wonder who likes to dump 'em?

I love CRT only for breaking-it-apart purposes.... the coils are an excellent source of generator winding back then when I was crazy about generators.

Err I wonder who likes to dump 'em?

Hi Vizier87

We are scrapping and dumping many sets here Weekly.....a huge problem is idiots saying to idiots that they can fix their faulty set. That does not happen and the ruined set is dropped off here for us to dispose of after it has been butchered.

Another thing...even if the set has not been butchered.....most common lately is LOPTX's for sets are obsolete. LOPTX fails, throw TV away.
My days of modifying sets for people that don't appreciate it and then argue about the price are over. Not wasting my time anymore to help stupids.

Buy a new TV. Finnis. That way nobody wastes their time. Or mine. Or money.

And hopefully, people get wiser.

South Africa.......let's see what happens next...

Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
Pushing this to the top of the heap...

Thanks and Goodnight guys.

tvtech

I turned 57 a few months ago. Birthday was somewhat unusual since I didn't get any older. I was wrong about my age all of last year!

I turned 57 a few months ago. Birthday was somewhat unusual since I didn't get any older. I was wrong about my age all of last year!

LOL Dusty

Welcome to ETO ;) Have fun here. Contribute if you can.
If you need to ask questions...simply post. We will try and help.

Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
i'm 55. since i started working in a TV shop when i was 13, that means i have been doing this for 42 tears...... i have avoided working on CRT tv's and monitors for about 10 years now. i will fix one, but my repair estimates tend to be in the low-midrange of the cost of a new LED TV... and after working at shops that gave free estimates and almost going under, i've learned to charge a minimum of 1 hour labor for just looking at something....

i'm 55. since i started working in a TV shop when i was 13, that means i have been doing this for 42 tears...... i have avoided working on CRT tv's and monitors for about 10 years now. i will fix one, but my repair estimates tend to be in the low-midrange of the cost of a new LED TV... and after working at shops that gave free estimates and almost going under, i've learned to charge a minimum of 1 hour labor for just looking at something....

Spot on post unclejed

We have a Minimum charge for any quotes needed that the Customer must pay up front. No money up front = no quote.
If the TV can be repaired, and the quote is accepted by the customer, than the quote money comes off the total repair price.

The quote money is non refundable if the quote is refused by the customer. And we play fair with our charges. That is why we have been in business so long.

If the customer does not like this arrangement they must take the TV elsewhere. End of story. This is all explained to the customer whilst they are deciding to leave the set here or not.

We don't waste our time anymore. Very few CRT Tech's around STILL with knowledge or experience gained over the Years.........:eek:

Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
OK.
Average age = 54 for these 22 non-random samples, half are between 45 and 65 and the mortality tables in the US give a 54YO 26 years to finish the bucket list.

OK.
Average age = 54 for these 22 non-random samples, half are between 45 and 65 and the mortality tables in the US give a 54YO 26 years to finish the bucket list.

Interesting. What are you actually trying to say?

I guess the moral is:
time flies
and
the young guys are not on this forum or do not speak up.

BTW, the worklife disability tables will give some of you another take on this 'sands of time' thread.

I guess the moral is:
time flies
and
the young guys are not on this forum or do not speak up.

BTW, the worklife disability tables will give some of you another take on this 'sands of time' thread.

Hello Norator

I still don't know what you are talking about.

Post deleted.

No point in keeping it here.

Last edited:
tvtech - you must have had a stressful day! - I suggest you read norator's other posts before you make snap judgements about his/her character and experience :)

Be well :)

tvtech - you must have had a stressful day! - I suggest you read norator's other posts before you make snap judgements about his/her character and experience :)

Be well :)

Hi throbscottle

I always end up in the dwang....it's like newbies must not mess with us oldies..We have lot's and lot's to teach those that will listen.

Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
tvtech, from what I could gather, Norator was simply giving the average age of people who responded to the thread. While his comment about only having 26 years left seemed a little dark, his post really wasn't harmful in any way. Unnecessary, perhaps, but nor harmful.

And I don't mean to be rude, but I'd like to see you contributing to more technical threads, tvtech. You seem to have the experience, but most of your posts here appear to be off-topic and of no technical use. If you have the experience I think you do, it would be nice if you would show it by helping other people with their technical questions.

Just my opinion, and once again, I don't mean to be rude.

Regards,
Matt

If Norator read or counted all the post of age in this Thread, I think he's coming up with the average age based on those posts.

tvtech, from what I could gather, Norator was simply giving the average age of people who responded to the thread. While his comment about only having 26 years left seemed a little dark, his post really wasn't harmful in any way. Unnecessary, perhaps, but nor harmful.

And I don't mean to be rude, but I'd like to see you contributing to more technical threads, tvtech. You seem to have the experience, but most of your posts here appear to be off-topic and of no technical use. If you have the experience I think you do, it would be nice if you would show it by helping other people with their technical questions.

Just my opinion, and once again, I don't mean to be rude.

Regards,
Matt

Hi Matt

No problem. Actually I unwind here at ETO. I am helping/dealing with Technical stuff at work all day long as I am the only trained Technical person here.

When someone is stuck here at work...they always turn to me for an answer. Quite tiring day in and day out. I work for one (me) but have to think for three. Plus, I get stuck sometimes too and there is nobody I can turn to for help. I have to work it out myself.

So, admittedly, I am not very active on the Technical side here.

But I will try harder to spend more time helping here too. However, if I am not sure I am giving the correct Technical advise, I simply don't post.

Guessing games just for the sake of posting doe's not suit my character.

Just me and the way I think. That is why my Technical post count is what it is :) It's a good honest Representation of me. No Technical chances ever. I only speak when I know I am sure of my FACTS.

Keep well Buddy,
tvtech

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back