Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I turned 50 today. Feel like a dinosaur. How old are you guys???

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvtech

Most Helpful Member
Hello

The thread title says it all. Please be truthful and don't lie. Serves no purpose if you do.

tvtech

Meant to read: I TURNED 50 today. Not tuned.

Thanks Eric. You fixed it.

Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
Hi KV

Had a huge wake up call today. I have to fix up my life.

I wan't to live till at least as long as Eric. Who is in his Eighties.

Regards.
tvtech

I should have added that people who tell you that 50 is the new 40 are lying.

When you are 40, you heal. When you are 50, you go through recuperation.

John

I should have added that people who tell you that 50 is the new 40 are lying.

When you are 40, you heal. When you are 50, you go through recuperation.

John

Correct John

Not in my wildest dreams could I possibly believe I could go round for round and get to Fifty years and still be sane where I am :D

Did it though. Tomorrow, I am one day older. And not a Year older. Like today. That makes me feel better.

Best Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
You know what Guys.....it would be brilliant if us "old timers" could have a get together one day. I use "old timers" loosely....

So we can chat, laugh, and generally agree or disagree.....thing is we all have one thing in common and that is a passion for electronics.

There are loads of people I would personally really like to meet here. Just a thought. I have planted the seed. Think about it Guys....

Best Regards,
tvtech

56....wow really......wait let me do the math................where did I leave my glasses ..................no way.........................calculator..............156...........................calculator, again.................56............what year is this?.......................now I feel old.........................what is the question again?...............................................got to go its my nap time.

Last edited:
JimB is 63.

38 here but my wife is rapidly aging me so give her 2 - 3 more years and she should have me fitting in rather well with the 55+ group. :p

I put a new dishwasher in for her Monday and I have been crippled up with lower back pain all week now. :eek:

I very rarely give out my age. Some people think I'm in my teens, others in my sixties, and everywhere in-between. To me age is just a number. It makes no difference what your age is, what matters is who you are, where you've been, and where you're going. When people ask me how old I am I tell them I'm old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway. I haven't lost my childishness. You may have heard the saying, growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional. I expect that to continue to be the case for me. There are a couple of people around here who may know my real age, due to me slipping up, or because of some other incident, but I trust them to keep it to themselves, as it is not important. I want people to know me for who I am. I've lived some, I've lost some, I've gained some, I've loved some, and it'll keep happening. I'm good with that. There's so much more to life than age. Embrace it and you'll realize that age really doesn't exist in the overall scheme of things.

Just my thoughts.

Matt

I very rarely give out my age. Some people think I'm in my teens, others in my sixties, and everywhere in-between. To me age is just a number. It makes no difference what your age is, what matters is who you are, where you've been, and where you're going. When people ask me how old I am I tell them I'm old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway. I haven't lost my childishness. You may have heard the saying, growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional. I expect that to continue to be the case for me. There are a couple of people around here who may know my real age, due to me slipping up, or because of some other incident, but I trust them to keep it to themselves, as it is not important. I want people to know me for who I am. I've lived some, I've lost some, I've gained some, I've loved some, and it'll keep happening. I'm good with that. There's so much more to life than age. Embrace it and you'll realize that age really doesn't exist in the overall scheme of things.

Just my thoughts.

Matt

Hi Matt

Your reasoning is sound. I just got a hell of a fright yesterday when Family and Friends reminded (and congratulated) me that I am half a Century old.

Some older, some younger....some have been there, some not...yet :D

Wake up time for me.

Talk about hitting a "Mid Life Crisis" @ 50 Years. Supposed to happen when I was 40 Years old. Never saw it then. Too fond of just having a good time and fun and all. Now I sit with my life that has flown by.

Good thing is I think I know how to fix it.

Watch this space ;)

Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
it would be brilliant if us "old timers" could have a get together one day

I've been to Ohio and I'm not too far from North Dakota but you other guys are way farther than I want to go anymore. (another one of those age things)!!

Aaron

I've been to Ohio and I'm not too far from North Dakota but you other guys are way farther than I want to go anymore. (another one of those age things)!!

Aaron

Hi Aaron

I am in South Africa. A long way to go.

I would happily try and find the money though to meet Members wherever they/we decide to meet. I would love to put faces to regulars here that always give good, solid advise.

Once again, just a seed planted. Think about it though.

Regards,
tvtech

I very rarely give out my age. Some people think I'm in my teens, others in my sixties, and everywhere in-between. To me age is just a number.
Embrace it and you'll realize that age really doesn't exist in the overall scheme of things.
A reasonable phylosophy (spelling looks odd?).

As I have aged over the years I have noticed that I have gone through several distinct "mellowing" phases.

In my 20s and 30s I was a keen go-getting type, always in a hurry, and so it carried on through my 40s and into early 50s where more and more responsibilities often with out the necessary authority to insist that things happenned my way made for a reasonably stressfull existence.

The first major mellowing occured when I became self employed.
It was absolutely brilliant not "working for The Man" any more, being able to do what I want when I want to do it .

The next phase was when my wife died after a couple of years of illness.
I woke up realising that I dont have to worry about anybody else any more, I can do even more of my own thing in my own time.

When I turned 60, it seemed that a status bit in my brains Status Byte had been set to tell me to slow down a bit more, some of the hardware is wearing out!
Despite that, when I see some people who are my age (or even younger) I think to myself "Look at that poor old crock! I hope I don't look like that!"
But, last year I was relating some experience which I had in the mid 1980s to some younger (20s/30s) people when one of them asked how old I was and was amazed when I told her that I was 62. So maybe I am wearing well, but it does not feel like it some days.

My own experience of the ageing process, for what it is worth.

JimB

Hi Aaron

I am in South Africa. A long way to go.

I would happily try and find the money though to meet Members wherever they/we decide to meet. I would love to put faces to regulars here that always give good, solid advise.

Once again, just a seed planted. Think about it though.

Regards,
tvtech

Bucket List, it's time for you to start thinking about the things you want to do before we kick the Bucket.

I have a few.

In my family my fathers side they are close to 90's or over, with quite a bit of health and no dementia, my father now 86 out lived 2 women, still kicking butt and taking names.

My Moms side have heart condition. But, I think we know the cause.

They tend to get into their fifties and die of heart attacks, one of my nieces found out she had this condition, left un-treated she would have died early too. It's a nerve that fires the upper side of the heart and goes into fibrillation.

They have a surgery that will disconnect the offending nerves that are to close to each other. So, I still hope I can do the things on my list.

I just started it. (Bucket List)

1. Learn 2 new languages, either spoken or programming.

2. Go to England with my brother and meet my distant cousins in a location they used to call lower peover. Once there I want to go drink a beer in a pub with them and order real "fish&chips":)

3. Make it to retirement and still have the money to take care of my self and wife.

4. Do something significant, invent something new and simple like a paper clip or staple. Something anyone would need or use.:p

5. Learn to play the piano and read music. I already play guitar now over 20yrs, great satisfaction.

What's yours?

Regards,
kv

I would happily try and find the money though to meet Members wherever they/we decide to meet.

OK, as a side issue from the main discussion, if in the unlikely event of this meeting taking place, where would that place be? and why?

I offer the following:

Iceland
Nowhere else like it, but the beer is a bit expensive!

Rotnest Island (off the coast of Western Australia)
Very tranquil with a cooling breeze off the ocean.

JimB

Moderating People - Should this be split out as a separate thread?

OK, as a side issue from the main discussion, if in the unlikely event of this meeting taking place, where would that place be? and why?

I offer the following:

Iceland
Nowhere else like it, but the beer is a bit expensive!

Rotnest Island (off the coast of Western Australia)
Very tranquil with a cooling breeze off the ocean.

JimB

Moderating People - Should this be split out as a separate thread?

LOL JimB.

Afterall, this is the place we hang out and let go of Technical stuff. Just talk and have fun. Still a good idea though.....

I would really like to personally meet some of the members here. Could be a party of note.

KV you are on the list. For sure.

Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back