Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I cooked and ate this.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickster

Most Helpful Member
On this site, I'm pretty sure that many members, at some point in their lives, have learnt to cater for themselves over the years.
Be it as a teen, during college/university, or much later, we all have to eat at multiple times during the day.
What have you found to be a tasty and satisfying meal, which you prepared/cooked yourself?
It doesn't have to be a gourmet dish, or a family secret recipe, but it does have to be something you have made and not just plucked off the internet.
Since we have members from all over the globe, traditional dishes are most welcome, along with variations, please add recipes if you can.

This evening, I had chicken breasts marinated for 24 hours in Nando's mild Peri Peri sauce, along with some common stir-fry vegetables, all steamed in a pan for about 20 minutes.
The chicken breasts were previously frozen and shrank quite a bit....should probably try fresh ones next time.
It looked pretty good and tasted ok, but no photos, since this idea came to mind after I had eaten.

I also like to make bread (dough mixed in a machine, but finished by hand in loaf tins), and have done white, wholemeal and Bob's Red Mill 10-grain loaves so far. Some good results, some not so good.

Please share your ideas/recipes.

I am rather partial to taking those cheap cans of beef or chicken chow mein and tossing a few extra goodies in them. Two cups of rice, two cups of chowmein noodles and whatever odd bits of whatever I can find for veggies and extra beef or chicken related flavorings I have at hand.

It always tastes great but my wife hates how I make it. (I think that makes it taste even better.) :cool:

Next is everything goes omelets/scrambled egg sandwiches. Pretty much self explanatory.

Any cheese, sandwich meats, bits of veggies and a toss of pepper then slap it on two pieces of toast with mayonnaise and Mmmm Mmmm good!

Well been over 40C in the shade here for the last few days so every evening meal is cooked on the BBQ outside. Tonights dish I made was whiting fillets along with corn on the cob along with some veges all done on the BBQ. The corn went on 1/2 an hour before the rest and all I do is leave the leaves on the cob and soak in a bucket of water for an hour then just throw them on the BBQ. Depending on what else is cooked will depend on when the corn goes on and it is a family favorite.

Hawaii Toast.
Something which I came across in Germany some years ago.

Take a slice of bread and toast it.
Lay the toasted bread on a grill pan.
Cover the toast with a slice of boiled ham, a pineapple ring, and then cover the whole lot with Gouda cheese.
Put it under the grill until the cheese is melted and golden.

Enjoy!

JimB

Due to lack of proper electronics knowledge I am a bad cooker in my electronics lab. Each and every day I cook and fry transistors, resistors, regulators and blast electrolytic capacitors. So now a days I am wearing goggles and motorbikes's helmet as an kitchen apron. :(

Last edited:
I'm the culinary type. Take a hotdog and insert a stainless steel nail in each end. Connect each nail to US Mains power 120 VAC 60 Hz. (Mains High to one nail and Mains Lo to the other). Plug in the power cord. Do not touch the hotdog when plugged in. When the hotdog looks done it is likely done and cooked to perfection. Disconnect from power, remove the nails and eat.

Seriously I enjoy cooking and preparing food dishes. Seldom do I need a cookbook for dishes I am familiar with. I like Italian cooking and as a kid would watch my mother, aunts and grandmother prepare meals. Lasagna, Briacole, Meat Balls and assorted beef and chicken dishes Italian style. I am right at home in the kitchen. I spent a good part of my younger years traveling the world extensively and simply loved all the different foods I was exposed to from Asian to European.

Yesterday was our anniversary and I grilled some dry aged beef steaks and marinated shrimp outside on the grill (BBQ). Winters do not keep me from outdoor cooking. :)

Ron

I had to look up collards - sort of like a cabbage, but without the 'head', more loose-leafed?

I had to look up collards - sort of like a cabbage, but without the 'head', more loose-leafed?
Yes.

Big, wide and fat leaves. Considerably stronger flavor. Crisp some bacon in a pressure cooker, remove, toss the rinsed greens (stripped from their stems) in with the hot bacon grease (lotsa theater there), sprinkle back in bacon crisps, stir in some dried onion flakes on top and douse with soy sauce and pepper. Pressure cook for 10 to 20 minutes.

Serve with pulled pork BBQ, corn bread and copious amounts of Jim Beam Green. Watch Super Bowl.

That is some fine dinin'...

I knew it wasn't long before the bacon and cornbread would come to mind. With copious amounts of slow cooked southern que.

Sounds tasty, will have give that one a go at some point, Bob.
Firstly though, I'll have to get to grips with corn bread - never made it before.

I like pasta with some kind of sauce. Or lasagne etc.
Today I'm putting more effort in.. I made pizza dough from scratch and I'm going to cook it in frying pan first and then finish it in oven under the grill.

Between CowboyBob and the Mickster we have deep southern US comfort food meeting the UK. :)

Ron

It's been a while since this thread was created and I'm sure we've all cooked a few different meals since then, but here's a truly delicious recipe which I'm sure will be a hit with those of us who like fish.
I was looking for a new Wahoo recipe last weekend, as I went on a fishing trip and we ended up with over 130lbs of fish.
I found a few different recipes online, but this one caught my eye and I had almost all of the ingredients to hand:
http://www.pocolococharters.com/panfried_wahoo.html
An hour later, after cooking and eating the fish, I was still smacking my lips and savouring the taste.
I passed it onto a couple of friends, who have grown up cooking/eating Wahoo and got rave reviews.
I hope that someone else can get to make this recipe and enjoy it the same as I have.
It's not Wahoo-specific and can be used for other fish.

Regards,
Mick.

P.S. I'm having it for dinner again this evening.

These **broken link removed** are the oddest tasting dumplings. There isn't anything normal that I can say is close to it. I didn't use this recipe, per see, but I had a hard time trying to spell it.

They aren't pasta like. They aren't really thick. They look like ravioli, but they float to the top of the water when boiling them.
They just take a lot of preparation. Yummy.

Try radish tops for a vegetable someday. Totally familiar with collards and rudabagas. Looks like I can't spell them either)

It's funny that my grandparents had breakfast, dinner and supper instead of breakfast, lunch and dinner and my aunt and uncle had pop instead of soda.

I'm partial to pork chops, personally. I usually eat them with mashed potatoes, corn/peas, and/or carrots. Last night I fried up a pork chop (used a lot of water to keep it moist) and it turned out to be one of the best ones I've ever cooked. Was very juicy and the seasoning worked really well on it.

Other than chops, all I can really cook is bacon, eggs, and sausage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back