Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I chopped my finger off last Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pommie

Most Helpful Member
I help out at a local school 2 days a week and was working there last Friday when I had a stupid accident. I prepare materials for the manual arts department and generally sort out problems. There is a big saw bench that also has a planer/thicknesser area. I was about to put some wood through the thicknesser when I stumbled and put my hand down to steady myself. Unfortunately, my hand landed on the planer and it planed the pad of my index finger down to the bone.

The reason I'm telling you this is because I never thought I would make that mistake. No way would I get bitten by that machine. I was so careful. I'm 49 years old and don't make stupid mistakes like that.

Anyway, moral of the story, when there is a big scary machine, be scared and cautious.

Mike.

hi Mike,
Sorry to hear about your mishap.

Most accidents seem to happen when we are taking the most care.

I hope its not your 'ring pull' finger........;)

Regards

Sorry to hear that!

Point well taken.. One cannot be too paranoid around dangerous equipment.

We're they able to repair the finger damage and it will heal ok? I've heard of cases where a full recovery is possible.

Well, that's a potential answer to the question, "When is it acceptable to swear in front of children?"

[breathes quickly through teeth] - ouch. I bought a new table saw recently, and I still get nervous everytime I crank it up. There's a really fine line to walk between being nervous enough to be respectful, but not so nervous that it effects your ability to operate the equipment properly. The nerve-racking thing is knowing that even when you're careful to be aware of what you're doing, it's a game of trying to beat the odds.

With all due respect to the pain, nuisance, and humility of it, it could have been much worse. Sorry, I know that's not much comfort. But now that the worst of it is over, c'mon.... let's see some photos!

Other than the scar, can you expect to recover in terms of functionality for your finger? Either way, best wishes of course. Your typing's nice and coherent, if that's any consolation.

Last edited:
I help out at a local school 2 days a week and was working there last Friday when I had a stupid accident. I prepare materials for the manual arts department and generally sort out problems. There is a big saw bench that also has a planer/thicknesser area. I was about to put some wood through the thicknesser when I stumbled and put my hand down to steady myself. Unfortunately, my hand landed on the planer and it planed the pad of my index finger down to the bone.

The reason I'm telling you this is because I never thought I would make that mistake. No way would I get bitten by that machine. I was so careful. I'm 49 years old and don't make stupid mistakes like that.

Anyway, moral of the story, when there is a big scary machine, be scared and cautious.
Mike.

Wish you speedy recovery Pommie. I do remember days where the un-mindful actions bounce back and then it becomes our duty to wonder as to "how could I behave like this" I recollect the saying originated 'to err is human'.

Ouch. I hope you recover most of the use of the finger!

I heard an anecdote on a welding site about a guy going in to the hospital due to a shop accident. The attending physician asked the guy "So. You've either been doing this for less than 10 days, or for longer than 10 years". :)

Just be thankful it wasn't the table saw. That wouldn't have stopped with the finger.

I know several older gentlemen sporting short fingers. Most of the accidents were the usual suspects (lathe accident, forgot to open the breech on the .22 before cleaning it, etc) but the most recent one was a beach kite accident. One of those really big kites you pull a dune buggy with. He got a bit of line wrapped around the finger and it stripped the finger down to the bone. Closest I've come so far is when I took off the end of my thumb with a *cough*cheese slicer*cough*.

Anyway, good luck and I hope you heal quickly and well!

Torben

Last edited:
That's terrible! I'm so sorry it happened. Power saws and rotating machines are scary - yet I use them, and this is a great reminder to all of us to think safety - we've all had close calls and some that have gone over the line. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear that, I removed all the finger tips off my right hand a number of years back (not quite down to the bone though) with a handheld electric plane.

They have grown back remarkably well, even the fingerprints, although I have a large scar across each fingerprint now! :D

However, as the doctors said, I no longer have full feeling in my finger tips, but it's LOT'S better than I ever imagined at the time, so it's probably not as bad as you currently fear.

If it's any help?, this is what happened with mine:

The hospital didn't even clean the finger tips, because they had stopped bleeding by the time I got there, they just used 'Flamazine' anti-burn cream and tubular bandages. Next they gave me a tetanus shot in my thigh, which left a little fountain of blood spurting on the floor, and left me limping for two weeks!.

I had to go to the hand clinic at the hospital, interspaced with my local doctors, both of whom just redressed the hand each time. After a fortnight or so it looked like they were getting no better, just bleeding any weeping every time they were redressed - then on the next hospital visit they had scabbed over, and the hospital didn't redress them, it was like having a tomato stuck on the end of each finger, and I went and bought my own bandages and surgical tape to cover them up.

It took about 16 or 17 days to that point, but even once the scabs had gone it took months for the fingers to stop feeling 'soft and fragile' - it's surprising how tough your fingers actually are.

So don't be too dispondent, it takes time, but they grow back amazingly - and I never missed a day off work either! :D

What did the doctor say?

I hope you get well soon.

Edit:
Nigel,
Which hand was it?

If you've lost feeling in your fingertips, do you often burn them?

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your finger

i ve seen quite a few work accidence and it always gives me the shivers (especialy if somebody loose parts of their body)

i hope you will heal soon and that the impact on your movements are limited

Robert-Jan

Thanks for all the good wishes and advice, much appreciated. I have just been to the hospital to get the dressing changed and am absolutely amazed at how well it is healing so far. It's finally stopped bleeding and what was a big hole has started to fill with new growth. As Nigel said, it'll take a while but should grow back or at least scar over. I probably won't get any feeling back in the tip but that's not too bad.

Mike.

Sorry to hear of the accident Mike but look on the bright side it was only your finger. It has been known when a persons finger or hand goes in the planer it can drag your whole arm in.:eek:

Anyway a few years ago I was working on a minesite doing up a flange with a 3/4" wrench and a 4 lb hammer. It was 4.30 pm on a friday arvo when a mate said when will ya be finished, so guess what happened silly me took my eye off the wrench and hit my little finger with a full blow from the 4 lb'er. :mad: I didnt think much of it as it was beer'o'clock and man I've never been in so much pain over a weekend. On the monday I went and got an xray where all they found was pulvirised bone and they simply taped 2 of my fingers together and said take a few panadols. Even today 18 years after it happened I still have the scar where the flesh popped out of my finger.

Well the morel of that accident it was beer'o'clock and that was more important than an injury and who said us Ozzies are pussies.:D:D:D

ouch!! :(
This reminds me of when I was working at Domino's while at school and a mate got his hand stuck in the dough machine - it was a mess
I hope all goes well Mike

It reminds me of when I was working on the bacon slicer at Sainsbury's supermarket, I got a little behind with my orders....:rolleyes:

Hi Mike, Hows the warm fuzzy glow this morning.? Regards

It reminds me of when I was working on the bacon slicer at Sainsbury's supermarket, I got a little behind with my orders....:rolleyes:

Hi Mike, Hows the warm fuzzy glow this morning.? Regards

Hi Eric,

Everything is good, it only hurts now if I catch it on something. Hope all is well at your end.

Mike.

Hi Eric,

Everything is good, it only hurts now if I catch it on something. Hope all is well at your end.

Mike.
Pommie, No Physiotherapy or anything like that for some time. It would restore fully well. and of course, your doc will lateron teach physio.Till then, (I know the pain, and want to keep you high in morale), don't even point on any one using this finger, guru.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back