Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How would I strip ribbon cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilykat

In the past I've used crimp tool to clamp connectors to ribbon cables. But I got an interesting project where space is very limited so connector is out. I would need to solder ribbon cable directly to the PCB but my wire stripping tool is meant to do one at a time, I am wondering if there is a tool that can strip off ribbon cable, 20 lines at once so I could have neat and clean solder connection without gap in wire cable.

Failing that, where in USA would I get flat flexible cable that is 20 conductors, 1 mm pitch, has exposed pins on both end ready to solder, and between 5 and 8 inches total? Preferably from USA supplier, oversea tended to take too long if they don't mess up the order. Last time I ordered 100 feet of 50 conductor ribbon cable, they sent me a dozen power cable for computers with schuko plug. (really useless in USA)

Looked up the price, and yikes the cable stripper can cost quite a lot. I'll try that cable from Mouser, I need to order a couple things anyway.

Looked up the price, and yikes the cable stripper can cost quite a lot. I'll try that cable from Mouser, I need to order a couple things anyway.
Careful, that is not exactly ribbon cable that I linked to. It is flat flexible cable. Essentially metalized foil that is etched into 20 strips and reinforced at the ends so you can push it into a flat flexible connector (FCC).

If you want simple ribbon cable, just get a razor knife and lightly score to and bottom (full width), then grab firmly and pull off the insulation. It strips well if you are doing 4 to 6 mm, removing more at a time gets messy.

By the way, keep the tip of the razor knife off of the copper, let out a long enough section of blade to distribute the pressure across the full width if the ribbon. Gentle sawing action without grinding the pointy tip on any copper.

I actually don't recommend soldering ribbon cable at all. Instead, solder a header to the board and use a connector like this one on the ribbon cable:

**broken link removed**

The little blades on the connector cut through the insulation and make contact with the conductors, and bring them out to the pins.

In my opinion, it's bad form to solder a ribbon cable. Removable connectors are the way to go.

I would be using connector but there's maybe 5mm of clearance on one PCB, and the other PCB has existing cable that I was planning to tap on. That one doesn't have much room either. I do not know of any connector that is:

SMD
works with 0.1" spacing both on the cable and on existing solder pads
Less than 5 mm height, not much space. Most connectors for standard ribbon cables seems to be over 10mm even if I used 90' angled socket
At most 0.5 mm from side to avoid collision with existing SMD on the second PCB.

I did not design the original PCB this way, it was done about 20 years ago by people who didn't plan on future expansion at all. It's probably why NEC that we knew from 20 years ago doesn't exists anymore. :/

So unless there's an ultra-flat ribbon cable connector, soldering seems to be the only way.

Presumably the insulation on your cable is PVC. Have you considered using heat?
upload_2016-1-27_16-36-5.png

I simply used a heat gun to blow air up the channel of the spring clip. Flipped the handles to push with and to keep them from getting too hot. There is no residue on the wire. I have the clip pried open so you can see the removed insulation.

John

Last edited:
View attachment 97106

I simply used a heat gun to blow air up the channel of the spring clip. Flipped the handles to push with. There is no residue on the wire. I have the clip pried open so you can see the removed insulation.

John

Clever!

View attachment 97106

I simply used a heat gun to blow air up the channel of the spring clip. Flipped the handles to push with and to keep them from getting too hot. There is no residue on the wire. I have the clip pried open so you can see the removed insulation.

John

Can you do a video of that? I'm not sure I understand what you did. Or, most clarification needed is, did you just heat and snap off the PVC end, or did you score it first?

Last edited:
gophert
Are you kidding? I can't do a video. I am not Michael Moore. You are lucky I didn't post a Kodak Ektachrome 2X2 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ektachrome ). I clamped the wire in the clip, blew hot air up the center and pulled/pushed the clip off. Try it. PVC is low melting -- like it is only rated to 85°C to 110°C or something like that. The clip is blued spring steel. Nothing sticks to it. First time in my life, as I never faced that challenge before.

John

Hey, Gopher, I forgot the smilies: :):):)

gophert
Are you kidding? I can't do a video. I am not Michael Moore. You are lucky I didn't post a Kodak Ektachrome 2X2 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ektachrome ). I clamped the wire in the clip, blew hot air up the center and pulled/pushed the clip off. Try it. PVC is low melting -- like it is only rated to 85°C to 110°C or something like that. The clip is blued spring steel. Nothing sticks to it. First time in my life, as I never faced that challenge before.

John

Hey, Gopher, I forgot the smilies: :):):)
Michael Moore? You must have Flint, Mi-on-the-brain from all the news stories this month!

Anyhow, I get the point. But, if you are in the mood to scan an Ektachrom slide, I will definitely look at it!

Thanks for the idea.

Hey Gopher, It took me all day to get my film developed so I could scan it and post the picture.

If you seriously need the steps, I will try to write something up. Let me know. Actually, I was a little surprised it was so easy. I expected a little smear from the PVC, but it came off very cleanly.

John

Hey Gopher, It took me all day to get my film developed so I could scan it and post the picture.

If you seriously need the steps, I will try to write something up. Let me know. Actually, I was a little surprised it was so easy. I expected a little smear from the PVC, but it came off very cleanly.

John
If it is so easy, I will give it a shot on my own. If I fail, I will post pictures for you to laugh at. Thanks again.

This is interesting. I usually take an exacto knife and will run along the line I want to score spearing the tip between each wire pair. I'm going to give the clip / heat gun thing a try.

gophert

If you have success show us your video. This sounds like a handy skill for the tool belt.

View attachment 97106

John

John,

Thanks for the tip.

Inq

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back