Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How transmit radio with a satellite dish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J_Nichols

I want to do a project where I use a satellite dish to transmit radio using FM or other modullation that you recommend.

It's like walkie-talkie but using a satellite dish. I don't want to use other system, I want to use satellite dish.

I want to do a project where I use a satellite dish to transmit radio using FM or other modullation that you recommend.

It's like walkie-talkie but using a satellite dish. I don't want to use other system, I want to use satellite dish.

Are you talking about FM radio in the 88-108mhz range? You need a dish 10 times bigger.

Do you own a channel on the satellite? Doing this is probably illegal.

I don't own a channel, but If it's illegal, I can do it on legal channels.

See if you can find a couple of old Gun-plexers.

https://www.qsl.net/n9zia/ma87127.html

Most of the modern satellite TV dishes are offset feeds, meaning they will look like they are pointing downward for terrestrial to terrestrial comm.

Thanks you very much, I'm reading it.

Are you talking about FM radio in the 88-108mhz range? You need a dish 10 times bigger.

Well, the main idea is to transmit audio over 100 km/62 miles of distance. The transmission would be in straight line without any physical object that can interrupt the transmission. I thought a satellite dish would be a good option because they transmit and receive data to large distances. But any other option that anyone suggest for the same goal will be appreciated. I won't use a satellite, but I will use terrestrial to terrestrial communications.

There are no legal satellite channels.

62 miles is an EXTREMELY long way, and unless both sites on on the tops of hills with nothing in between it won't be a straight line.

The gain of a dish comes from the EXTREMELY high frequencies used, and the fact that the dish shape makes it highly directional.

For much lower frequencies dishes aren't used because their size would be prohibitive (think radio telescope size!!).

Technically, you can use transponders in the 144 MHz- (2 metre) band of amateur satellites for such experiments. It WILL NOT meet commercial requirements. It will be periodic in availability.

You can link up with radio amateurs to get more info on these.

Ramesh

That is your problem, there are likely no available channels. You cannot just put a 62mi data link on the air without spending ~$10K in legal and licensing fees. You might be able to rent a subchannel on an existing terrestrial link.

Hams routinely do 100km GHz links, but that cannot be used for any commercial purpose, nor can music be transmitted.

Technically, you can use transponders in the 144 MHz- (2 metre) band of amateur satellites for such experiments. It WILL NOT meet commercial requirements. It will be periodic in availability.

You can link up with radio amateurs to get more info on these.

Ramesh

I'll post the question about frequencies in radio amateur forum.

That is your problem, there are likely no available channels. You cannot just put a 62mi data link on the air without spending ~$10K in legal and licensing fees. You might be able to rent a subchannel on an existing terrestrial link.

Hams routinely do 100km GHz links, but that cannot be used for any commercial purpose, nor can music be transmitted.

I didn't know that there is the possibility to rent a channel. Well, I can ask with radio amateur. But as I'm reading your posts I see that I've to use a very high frequency (Ghz) to transmit signals over long distances.

I didn't know that there is the possibility to rent a channel. Well, I can ask with radio amateur.
That would be renting a subchannel from a commercial point-to-point microwave system; not from an amateur.

But as I'm reading your posts I see that I've to use a very high frequency (Ghz) to transmit signals over long distances.

No, I just had a 1hour conversation with friends ~1000km away on 7.135MHz. I routinely talk to hams on 146MHz using a mountain top repeater that is >150km from my station using just 1W of output power...

Look at a path loss calculator **broken link removed**. Play around with it.

Yeah, and I want to communicate with a dead relative using a single germanium transistor transmitter powered by a watch battery fed to a coat hanger antenna.

I can do it on legal channels.
Which channels are legallly available for amateur use in your jurisdiction? Which country are you in? In most countries radio transmission is highly regulated so that radio interference between legal users is avoided. Your presence on the airwaves would be easily detectable by the Authorities.

@HiTech
Sounds perfectly doable. But what will you use for reception ;)

you could put a directional wifi antenna at the focal point. just google "wifi antenna with satellite dish"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back