1. Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
    Dismiss Notice

How to wire up a 3.5mm jack?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by revans, Jan 25, 2009.

1. revans

revans New Member

Hey there,

I've got a 3.5mm cable with a male end which is being plugged into an amp and the other end needs to be wired up to a 3.5mm jack (this one: Jaycar Electronics)

I've stripped the end of the cable and there are three wires - red, white, and an uninsulated bunch - presumably left, right and ground. The 3.5mm socket has three terminals - also presumably left, right and ground.

Could someone please help me identify which wire will be wired to which terminal? Or alternatively a way to figure it out would be appreciated to. Thanks

2. Speakerguy

Speakerguy Active Member

Tip is left, middle is right, sleeve is ground. Left is white, right is red.

3. audioguru

audioguru Well-Known Member Most Helpful Member

Jaycar doesn't say what the jack is. It might be a stereo jack or it might be a switching mono jack.

Go to a half-decent parts distributor who has details on the parts it sells.
    Farnell distributes millions of electronic parts areound the world and in Down Under.

4. dave

Dave New Member

5. Speakerguy

Speakerguy Active Member

^^^ excellent catch AG. That would be a huge problem for him.

6. revans

revans New Member

Hey guys don't worry I just remembered it was actually this socket here: Elekon - View product which is apparently stereo

7. audioguru

audioguru Well-Known Member Most Helpful Member

Since the very cheap jack does not have a wiring diagram then buy a matching plug and measure the contacts with an ohm-meter.
    Or trial and error.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009