Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to Wire Drill with Brushed Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to wire a drill with a brushed motor. The drill originally had a trigger switch that controlled the speed of the drill and a toggle type switch that controlled the direction of the drill (clockwise or counterclockwise). I removed the trigger switch and toggle switch. I want to replace them with a simple on off switch that will cause the drill to spin clockwise at its fastest speed. I have tried to figure out how to directly wire the drill without the on-off switch to make it run clockwise but I have been unable to do so. I have searched and searched the web for a diagram on how to wire a brushed motor but have found nothing. There are eight wires that need to be addressed. They are the black and white wire from the ac plug, the two blue wires attached to the two brushes, and a blue and a brown wire attached to what I am calling the North side and South side of the windings/armature. I am attaching a diagram and a photo.

How do all the wires get attached? To help in answering this question, I have numbered the wires on the diagram so hopefully someone can tell me for example 4 attaches to 5, 6 attaches to 7 and so on. I realize that some of the wires may not be attached to anything since they may be for making the drill go in the counterclockwise direction. Your help is greatly appreciated. Sorry, I seem to have uploaded my attachments twice.

mbjg0788
Drill Diagram.png
Drill Diagram.png
Drill.jpg
Drill.jpg

Very simple for a Universal motor you should have 6 leads to deal with, two are the incoming power, the other two pairs are armature and field, the field has to be connected in series with the armature, and the power connected to these two resultant ends (one armature, one field).
To reverse direction, the field has to be reversed WRT the armature.
This is what your original set up did, just with the inclusion of a Triac controller in the AC lead.
Max.

Thanks Max. So would the correct wiring be as follows: 4 gets connected to 5 that gets connected to 6 that gets connected to 10 and then 9 gets connected to 8 that gets connected to 7 that gets connected to 11?
John S.

Assuming 4 & 8 are field or armature and 5 & 9 is the other
One method is connect 4&5 only, power 6 & 7 would be connected to 8 & 9.
To reverse swap 4 & 8, OR swap 5 & 9 .
Max.

I would give the commutator a clean up while you have apart as well.

No that looks wrong I assumed the 4&8 and 5&9 were the armature and stator respectively? You need to identify what these are?
There should only be two conductors from the stator.
Unless each pole pair is brought out, which is unusual.
M.

Last edited:
These are the two options usually seen, all have to be in series.
To reverse, swap armature (brushed) leads
Max.

Attachments

• UnivMot.jpg
    UnivMot.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 315
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back