Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to turn a 5V DC motor both clockwise and anitclockwise ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ksinclair

How would you turn a 5V DC motor both clockwise and anticlockwise ? I am also looking for a circuit diagram to explain this.

Reverse the polarity across the motor. Google DPDT reversing relay or switch.

One of many

Last edited:
How would you turn a 5V DC motor both clockwise and anticlockwise ? I am also looking for a circuit diagram to explain this.

How would I do it? First I would look at my 5 volt motor and see what the current draw was going to be. The motor will have a free running current draw, an under load current draw and finally a locked rotor current draw. All of that depends on the motor's application. Then I ask myself (I talk to myself quite a bit) do I want my motor to run CW (Clockwise) then CCW (Counter Clock Wise) for a given time period then repeat or do I just want my motor CW & CCW controlled by a switch, in other words Manual or Automated? Do I want my motor to be variable speed or just run at a fixed speed? Once I answer all those questions I can draw a circuit but until I know those and more answers I can't begin to make a circuit.

So based on your question here is the circuit:
Motor Reverse DPDT Switch.png

The switch is a SPDT (Single Pole Double Throw) common switch carefully chosen to handle the current requirements of the motor. Oh yeah, not shown is the switch has a center off position because many motors hate to go from forward to reverse instantly.

How about some information?

Ron

Thanks for your input. I am designing a dolly with a camera attached to move smoothly along a camera slider (rails) . It needs to be able to move remotely left and right along rails as controlled by remote I am using the motor along with gearing and a drive belt to connect dolly to motor. I am going for constant speed but with a view to adding variable speed in future model. I have the mechanics sorted but It is the circuit/diagram that was getting me.

Thanks for your input. I am designing a dolly with a camera attached to move smoothly along a camera slider (rails) . It needs to be able to move remotely left and right along rails as controlled by remote I am using the motor along with gearing and a drive belt to connect dolly to motor. I am going for constant speed but with a view to adding variable speed in future model. I have the mechanics sorted but It is the circuit/diagram that was getting me.

OK for now manually operated with room for expansion like speed control. First the motor must be reversible, next need to know the motor current both free running and under load, also stalled motor current. Assume as you mentioned a 5 volt motor. Initially when you say remote control did you have wired or wireless in mind? The better you describe things the easier to develop a circuit and plan.

Ron

Lets start with power.
Assuming it needs to be a battery for the dolly, 12 volt SLA would be easiest or does the dolly already have power on it?

Thanks for your input. I am designing a dolly with a camera attached to move smoothly along a camera slider (rails) .

You might want to consider inertia in your plans. A little controlled acceleration and deceleration of your dolly might be required, to prevent it trying to whip when you start and end your run. Also a smidge of dead time between direction changes wouldn't hurt either :)

This H bridge will give you control of the motor direction and you can control the speed with the PWM. If you use a microcontroller then you can drive the mosfets gates directly.
motor.GIF

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back