Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to trigger BT136

Status
Not open for further replies.

kris1

i had a problem while designing a circuit in which BT 136TRIAC has to be triggered from a half rectified current of 30 mA at about 6V. Its not getting triggered. Even for this supply my trigger circuit is consuming power as the 4.7k 10W resistor is getting heated up so fast.Suggest me a way to trigger it.
The circuit is about "Solid state auto power off on mains failure".
Even Itried this in ORCAD capture but this didnot work. Can anyone share my pain...
the circuit is available at **broken link removed**

Last edited:
do both circuits have a common ground?

Are you trying to use the secondary of a 6V transformer without the other side connected to the supply you're trying to switch?

Please post the schematic.

thanks for response

Hero999 said:
do both circuits have a common ground?

Are you trying to use the secondary of a 6V transformer without the other side connected to the supply you're trying to switch?

Please post the schematic.
thanks for your response.
the circuit is available at the folowing site please
**broken link removed**

In my opinion the schematic contains an error. The R7 (triac gate series resistor) is too big (270K).
When transistor T1 is open, the 9V voltage is applied to gate, via this resistor, so max current is no more then 9V/270kOhm=0.03mA.
Use a 270 OHM resistor instead, to increase current to 30mA.

Just now I see another errors...
The T1 base-emiter junction and the S1 pushbutton are permanently shorted because the marked link:

**broken link removed**

This is not a correct design... and many energy dissipated.
Triacs don't like the positive DC trigger, most of case fired only half-wawe - depending of load.
I strongly recommend to use an optotriac for firing (eg MOC3041, it contain zero-cross feature). In PSU use a serial capacitor (100nF X2 type) and a bridge rectifier.

Why are you switching Neutral to Ground?
Why do you have a load connected between Hot and Ground?

This will surely trigger any ground fault circuit breaker.

Do Not Connect "Ground" To "Earth Ground"

Bob Scott said:
Why are you switching Neutral to Ground?
Why do you have a load connected between Hot and Ground?

This will surely trigger any ground fault circuit breaker.

I think that the GROUND symbol in the schematic is just a "cero volt reference" for the circuit.

It is certainly :eek: NOT connected to EARTH GROUND:eek:

If both "grounds" were connected, not only will trigger any ground fault circuit breaker but will be a dangerous system (and will be an "allways on" switch:D )

ecerfoglio said:
I think that the GROUND symbol in the schematic is just a "cero volt reference" for the circuit.
I think the same.
In the schematic ( **broken link removed** ) we can see TWO TERMINALS used only: PH(ase) and N(eutral). The earth ground terminal (PE) is not present in the schematic, because is not used.
In this schematic, the mentioned symbol shows the common neutral trace via triac , and represents, of course, a reference for the circuit, but not earth ground. The well known symbol "earth ground" was not properly used.

**broken link removed**

Why would someone want to build a "SolidState auto power off on mains failure" circuit using discrete components?

A simple AC relay with a self hold push button will do and probably more reliable, consumes much less energy and generates less heat.

very good response

Thanks for all. Till now I felt im the only person to think about such challenging things. But I had many friends. im happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back