Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to send serial data via wifi to a pc/laptop from a pic16f877a ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanoopgr8

Sir I am working a Robot in which i need to interface a wifi module to a PIC16f877A . I am using a GPS module on-board the data produced by the module has to be transferred to the PC else where so i chose wifi communication network for the purpose. Hence i would like to know what should i exactly do now

You need a simple serial data link, not WiFi. The WiFi protocol is not trivial and vast overkill for a simplex path.

Question is .. wil a serial data link provide the same flexibility as a WiFi conection ?? what are the reason for choosing WiFI in the first place?? .. Reason for me asking is that i'm working on a project where i was thinking about using WiF to send and recive data from a PIC based prosess controller. and i want to learn more about WiFi and simmilar options .

Question is .. wil a serial data link provide the same flexibility as a WiFi conection ?? what are the reason for choosing WiFI in the first place?? .. Reason for me asking is that i'm working on a project where i was thinking about using WiF to send and recive data from a PIC based prosess controller. and i want to learn more about WiFi and simmilar options .

WiFi is a complex complete wireless network connection - you don't need that just to transfer data from a PIC.

If I wanted to transfer data wirelessly I'd use simple licence free wireless modules - I'd never consider trying to use WiFi, it's far more complicated and expensive to do.

WiFi is a complex complete wireless network connection - you don't need that just to transfer data from a PIC.

If I wanted to transfer data wirelessly I'd use simple licence free wireless modules - I'd never consider trying to use WiFi, it's far more complicated and expensive to do.

I found this when i googled for **broken link removed**
is it something like this you had in mind ??

data produced by the module has to be transferred to the PC else where so i chose wifi communication network for the purpose. Hence i would like to know what should i exactly do now
I have read the data sheet on a serial to WIFI board that looked like a xbee board. I will look for more information. Its use is what you say; PIC to laptop connection.

Nigel i did search for the RTFQ1 both on Ebay and at my local suppliers webpage but found nothing .. are there another chip i could use instead ???

Digikey.com

searching digikey for RTFQ1 just showed readymade moduels and not single chip .. I want to build my own circuit , ofcause i could buy a module and use the parts but i guess it won't be a good options .. another thing is the frequency it is using not sure if that could interfere with other things and if i'm allowed to use it here in Norway ..

when it comes to WiFI i'm currently checking what solutions microchip can provide from the page i linked to and it looks like they have a few solutions making it a little simpler to use WiFi in embeded solutions ...

searching digikey for RTFQ1 just showed readymade moduels and not single chip .. I want to build my own circuit

It's not a chip, it's a module - that's the point of it. It's also 'licence free', you should select a suitable licence free module for your country, most (if not all) countries have them.

It's a module because it has to pass the licence free testing, if you built your own it would probably be illegal to use unless you sent it for testing, which costs thousands!.

It's not a chip, it's a module - that's the point of it. It's also 'licence free', you should select a suitable licence free module for your country, most (if not all) countries have them.

It's a module because it has to pass the licence free testing, if you built your own it would probably be illegal to use unless you sent it for testing, which costs thousands!.
thanks for the answer Nigel .. i guesses the modulsystem had to do with the things you mentioned .. I will have a look at that option and also read more about the microchip solutions.. Since i'm not hte one who started this tread i will take a step back and mind my own business ;)

I also have this need but I NEED WiFi

I need Wifi because I want to send data back and forth between the PIC and an iPhone and Bluetooth is out with iPhone. What are the possibilities?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back