Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to remove zedo ads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

transistor495

Forum Supporter
There's a very annoying 'sponsored' ad coming up on the right part of the browser for almost websites I open(not related to this site). I tracked it and found it is 'zedo ad cookie'. I've tried removing cookies and blocking the zedo website itself. Not much of help. It is staying somewhere in my system and still alive after loads of scanning using antivirus/spyware/adware programs.

I use dual boot with winXp and 7. I got this affected since couple of weeks before in Xp. I haven't used win7 for long. After got affected by this, I gave up Xp and logged in to 7 and much wondered that the same ad is coming in there also! That looks like this adware copied to win7 partition also(how come?)

Anybody know how to removing this ***t?

View attachment 64370

That's not normal. What browser are you using? Switch to Chrome or FF and install the AdBlock add-on. I'm using it now and it works wonders! I haven't seen a single ad for a month! (I installed it a month ago).

I've already tried Adblock add-on in FF and it blocks the ad contents but still the 'skeleton' is popping up without any content though..still annoying :(

It's a script got inserted into every webpages I visit. Very carefully made adware and I'm sure it has it's own files copied in system files or running from registry. Registry scanner also tried but no help.

You can try malware-btyes, cc cleaner and if that doesn't work "hijack this" generally will find well hidden stuff.

While I have not used them for a while I have liked Malware Bytes and Super Anti Spyware. You did not mention what you are currently running for anti-virus or anti-spyware/malware? Note how the programs are run in Safe Mode as that is important.

Instructions

1 Download and install an anti-virus program, such as AVG, Avast! or Avira. If you already have an anti-virus program, make sure it's up to date by clicking the "Update" button.

2 Download and install an anti-Trojan program, such as Malwarebytes, PC Tools ThreatFire, or SUPERAntiSpyware.

3 Restart your computer in safe mode by tapping "F8" after your computer beeps. Select "Safe Mode with Networking," then press "Enter."

4 Open the anti-virus program of your choice and select "Full Scan." Once the scanner finishes, select "Remove All."

5 Open the anti-Trojan program of your choice. Select "Full Scan" when prompted, then "Remove All" once the scanner finishes.

6 Restart your computer. C5 Zedo will now be removed.

The above suggestion was taken from here.

I also doubt the malware is jumping around between partitions. More than likely you are visiting the same infected site with your different operating systems.

Good Luck
Ron

Last edited:
Ok, I somehow managed to remove this thing finally :)

This is what I've done yesterday:

Inspected the ad element and found from which website the ad content is getting loaded randomly.

Then I've done a file content search in all the drives for that web address using FileSeek program.

Came to know that it resides in the 'cache' of Firefox under Documents and settings/localsettings path.

Deleted all cache manually(which normally won't even if we uninstall Firefox).

Thanks for all your great support and concerns, I appreciate it.

Ok, I somehow managed to remove this thing finally :)

This is what I've done yesterday:

Inspected the ad element and found from which website the ad content is getting loaded randomly.

Then I've done a file content search in all the drives for that web address using FileSeek program.

Came to know that it resides in the 'cache' of Firefox under Documents and settings/localsettings path.

Deleted all cache manually(which normally won't even if we uninstall Firefox).

Thanks for all your great support and concerns, I appreciate it.

Good thinking! Glad to hear you got it worked out :)

That being a very important step. I have cleaned systems and a day later they call me to tell me the problem persist. Heck yeah, they keep returning to the same infected site. Go figure. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back