1. Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
    Dismiss Notice

how to prepare ferric chloride solution

Discussion in 'Electronic Projects Design/Ideas/Reviews' started by Macanthony, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Macanthony

Macanthony New Member

hi every one, i have ferric chloride etchant solution to prepare from 2.5kg of hexahydrate grannule. i tried experimenting with little quantities mixture of water and the hexahydrate grannule in ratio 2 to 1 respectively. then i dip copper board into it and after 4hrs etching had not started. please what is the best way to prepare ferric chloride etchant solution:confused:

2. HarveyH42

HarveyH42 Banned

Should have worked. How clean was the copper? Temperature of the solution sometimes effects etching time. Usually takes about 15 minutes, but sometimes during the winter months it takes 30 minutes or so. Four hours, and nothing, bad chemicals, maybe something in the water. Really can't say, its not complicated to add power to the water, concentration isn't critical.

3. Chippie

Chippie New Member

I warm my Ferric solution in the microwave oven to shorten etch time...10 second bursts is all it take to warm it sufficiently,works great!

Of course having a dedicated tank with an inbuilt heater would be the best solution( no pun intended).

4. dave

Dave New Member

5. Wp100

Wp100 Active Member

Curious ..? - usually you take 250 grams of pellets and add enough warm water to make up 500ml of solution - stiring well to get a good mix.

It should etch well in 15-20 mins at room temperature say 20c, but it is better if warmed to 35 -40 c.

Either you have got the mix totally wrong or as I suspect you have got your board covered with some type of etch resist or a protective cover.

Normally a piece of bare copper will turn a pink / purple colour withing 10 seconds as the etching process begins.

If you still have problems come back with details of the pellets and copper board you are using - photos would help.

6. Macanthony

Macanthony New Member

appreciation

thanks to you :D my ferric chloride solution is now etching well. its good to know that noting would be difficult for me to achieve with you guys around.:)

7. hisyam

hisyam New Member

hi guys..can i know is it ok if i cut some copper wire and mix it with HCL to make an iron chloride solution?

8. mneary

mneary New Member

If you manage to dissolve copper wire in HCl it won't make FeCl, where would the iron come from?

9. Vizier87

Vizier87 Active Member

probably he meant iron instead of copper.

10. hisyam

hisyam New Member

yup..i mean the iron..is it ok if i dissolved it with sulfuric acid

11. Boncuk

Boncuk New Member

The chemical formula of iron tricloride (ferric cloride) is Fe3Cl.

Depending on the make ferric cloride is supplied either in flour like or shrapnel shaped form.

It looks yellow to amber.

What did you use?

Boncuk

12. mneary

mneary New Member

Mixing strong chemicals requires attention to detail to avoid getting killed.

"hisyam" has demonstrated his competence by seeking Fe3Cl by dissolving Fe (or is it really Cu) in HCl. Or maybe he has dissolved Fe in sulfuric acid and is seeking to get Fe3Cl by mixing the solution with HCl. He has 2.5kg of something called "hexahydrate grannule". I have no clue what this is, but I get a quarter million hits on google which link hexahydrate with home made explosives.

Perhaps this would-be chemist should be approached with caution.

13. Vizier87

Vizier87 Active Member

Mneary, hisyam just butted in with the "copper" question only. The one with the hexahydrate granule is the original poster, McAnthony.

14. mneary

mneary New Member

gulp. My bad.

I mistakenly associated the vintage thread with the new questions.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010