Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to mount a motor shield on the Arduino?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fractal5

This is a quite trivial question. How do you mount the shield on the Arduino? By this I mean what pins should be used when I mate the two boards together?

Please see the attached pictures:

arduino_shield.jpeg

arduino.jpeg

From the shield itself, there is an URL printed, ladyada.net/make/mshield, which when I visit redirects me to: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-motor-shield

I have looked at this website, looked at the documentation. There is a picture that makes it easy to see how to make the boards fit, if the user has the version of the Arduino which is depicted in the picture, which I do not. There is also some mention about what pins are not in use, but it is not immediately clear to me what pins I should use. The pins do not appear to line up in any intuitive way with the board, although I can make it line up arbitrarily I do not know if this will work, or even damage the board(s).

So in short, what are the pins on the Arduino that I should use to mate the two boards together? I bought these two boards as a kit from an eBay seller, so I believe they are meant to fit in the first place.

I'm sure I've managed to overlook something, but I find the documentation to be very poor when this most trivial of all steps is not clearly described.

The headers on the shield line up with the corresponding headers on your Mega. See pages 33, 34 of the PDF file you posted.

The Arduino shown for the example above is the Uno (looks like it, anyway). Same header line up as the Mega, just more headers on the Mega.

Make note of the various text portions for additional header info.

And I grant that the explanation(s) are poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back