Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to make an electric drill run slow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarkdale44

Hello

Just as the title says I have an electric drill 110v/220v. I want to make it run slow.

Thing is when I bought this drill few months ago I didn't knew much about it. I just bought the one with more watts as the guy at store suggested.
Now I found that drilling through metal requires slow speed, so the bit doesn't get hot too much and less friction. But my drill flies as I hit the power button. The power button is simple press button with lock.

Is there such a device that can make this drill run slower ?
Can I simply hook it with fan speed controller?

If the solution to my problem requires opening up the drill then I can't as it's still under warranty.

I appreciate all the replies.

What make and model is it?

I'd say the cheapest solution is probably to just get a new drill.
With "make it run slow" - do you then mean to maintain a low speed (speed controller) or just as a throttle you can push with your hand?

You could always get a adjustable transformer, but I suspect it might be the most expensive solution.

I bought a Ryobi ERH650RS, and I think that a cheap modified one couldn't comare. Only thing to remember is that one also need a chuck to use regular "borr" (Chrome translate doesn't get it - the tool to attach to the drill).

The direct answer for your question is Yes, but the price will depend on the kind of motor used in your drill.

Hold the chuck really tightly :D, adjust speed by amount of grip :D, ok wait for someone in a more serious mood than me to come along

What make and model is it?
My mistake the drill is for 220/240v.
It's an imported drill.
Planet power Eid 13 hammer series
EID10-13-2.jpg

13.jpg

By make it run slow I mean to maintain low speed so that I could drill into metal with that. Currently this drill runs very fast which is not good for metal drilling. I need some device so I could adjust its speed.

Maybe a variac?

What speed you after roughly?

well its showing that it can do 2 speeds, so on the slower speed setting are you looking for it to go half as slow or a 1/4 as slow? no good saying slow enough to drill metal, drilling metal depends on the metal and drill size! You dont drill a 1mm hole the same speed you drill a 20mm hole, you dont use the same speed on Ali as you do on stainless steel.
Seriously try and help

Also consider the drills themselves, are they cheap carbon steel or HSS (High Speed Steel).

A 6mm carbon steel drill will not last long cutting steel at 2700rpm.

A 6mm HSS drill will get hot but will not lose its cutting edges unless you het it red hot.

As for slowing the drilling machine down, a simple phase controlled "lamp dimmer" circuit would probably work OK, provided that the thyristor/triac can handle the current.

JimB

A beefy version of a SCR/triac-based light-dimmer should do the trick.
Something like this perhaps?

Wow! I didn't know they still made electric hand drills that were so cheaply built that they didn't have variable speed built into the trigger.

Shoulda bought the $20 one instead of the $15 one. :oops:

I say buy a $30 drill with variable speed and take the trigger out of it to make your $15 drill a variable sped one. :rolleyes:

$2 pair of gloves and wrap your hand around the chuck ;) saves you $28

Also know that when you slow the drill down with a voltage type control, the drill motor will get hot faster. When the motor turns slower the cooling fan won't move as much air.

JimB has the right answer if your dulling the bits fast. The drill motors speed is correct for the diameter bits it is made for, even when cutting steel. I spent my life as a metal worker, machinist, fabricator and if your going to work with metal buy tools (drill motors, saw blades and drill bits) that are made for the job. It's money well spent if that's what you want to do.

Also know that when you slow the drill down with a voltage type control, the drill motor will get hot faster. When the motor turns slower the cooling fan won't move as much air.

JimB has the right answer if your dulling the bits fast. The drill motors speed is correct for the diameter bits it is made for, even when cutting steel. I spent my life as a metal worker, machinist, fabricator and if your going to work with metal buy tools (drill motors, saw blades and drill bits) that are made for the job. It's money well spent if that's what you want to do.

You got a point indeed...

Also consider the drills themselves, are they cheap carbon steel or HSS (High Speed Steel).

A 6mm carbon steel drill will not last long cutting steel at 2700rpm.

A 6mm HSS drill will get hot but will not lose its cutting edges unless you het it red hot.

As for slowing the drilling machine down, a simple phase controlled "lamp dimmer" circuit would probably work OK, provided that the thyristor/triac can handle the current.

JimB
I am using HSS

Did everyone miss the fact that this is a "Hammer Drill"? I don't think that is the appropriate type for drilling steel.

Ken

I want to ask wheather or not the drilling is for sheet metal and what the range of hole diameters are?

I use a 3/8 Battery powered VSR with a torque clutch for like 98% of what i have to do. I have a massive RA drill with a 1/2" chuck with wind up control I use rarely.
It's essential for drilling wall footers.

Then a demolition hammer for mostly digging in clay soil.

Then there is the Dremel tool.

For my hole making it's,

Dremel, 1/4" drill, 3/8" drills, 1/2" drills, 5/8" drill press, 3/4" drill press, Mill, Plasma cutter, Tractor mounted 3 point auger, Backhoe tractor, Bucket Dozer. :D

And yea a hammer drill is terrible for steel work. :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back