Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to make a 470uH inductor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suraj143

How do I make a 470 uH air core inductor?

Please don’t ask for what circuit use for. Please tell me how to make, how many turns do I need & how to measure etc…

Thanks a lot

Try using google before you post basic questions like that. The answers are out there.
https://colomar.com/Shavano/inductor_info.html
Just type .470 into the inductor value (.470mH's = 470uH's)

Also without asking what circuit this is used for it is impossible to answer your question because you don't mention the frequency you need that inductance at nor do you mention the power it needs to handle.

Hi after referring to the table from 26 wire guage I need 10m length this is too much also power is 50W in that I don’t need that power.

I just need to light up an LED with 1.2V cell. Same as joule thief but I don’t like to put a resistor instead of an inductor I need actual inductor.

So how many turns I need?

As you can see by the results you got from that inductor calculator page when you type in a value of 470uH you get 14 different answers, all correct and none which meet your needs. You will continue to get answers like that until you completely describe your intentions and post a complete schematic of your existing circuit. You will likely receive no further useful information (certainly none from me) if you can't do that =)

Here is the circuit diagram.
Somebody please help me to make this 470uH inductor.I don't want to use 470 ohm resister for that I need an actual inductor.

Please tell me how to make that inductor.

Attachments

• boost-schematics.gif
    boost-schematics.gif
    2.7 KB · Views: 2,397
**broken link removed**

edit:

This one might be better for you, it allows the use of higher gauge wire (up to 45)
be wary of the DCR of the coil.

http://www.pronine.ca/multind.htm

Last edited:
I've found the pronine multilayer calculator to be EXTREMELY accurate. Verified results with one of our uber-pricey milliohm meters here.

Suraj143 said:
Here is the circuit diagram.
Somebody please help me to make this 470uH inductor.I don't want to use 470 ohm resister for that I need an actual inductor.

Please tell me how to make that inductor.
You mean this?
**broken link removed**
Maybe you're confused? This is inductor, just buy one and you can get the circuit working and save the space :)

Wow thanks Sceadwian the above pronine multilayer calculator link is the best. Now I can calculate very easily.

Sorry bananasiong I don't find here to buy one.

Thanks a lot.
Bye

As you have probably found out by now, winding your own air-core coil to get 470 uH will take a few hundred turns of fine wire. This is an impractical and clumsy attempt. May I suggest instead that you use a ferrite core to reduce the number of turns required. Unfortunately, there are many different kinds of ferrite materials out there, and winding an identical number of turns for each will result in radically different inductance values.

Winding an air core is real easy.

Mount the largest size dowel rod you can in a drill (3/8 or 1/2"). Mark the length the inductor should be on the dowel rod. Pronine will tell you based on the gauge how many layers at that length it'll take (try to make it an even 2 or 3 or 4, not 3.36 or something). Secure the wire to the dowel rod with some tape, hold some tension on the wire from the spool, and slowly spin up the drill. It's real easy to get tight/no-gap windings this way with just a little practice. Layer it back over itself when you get to the marking for the end of the inductor for the next layer. You can tape the windings down in between layers if you want to help hold them, I use some special HV insulating polyethylene tape for mine but packing tape would be fine too. This works better the smaller the wire is (24-32ga is what I have used).

Alternatively, Madisound.com and PartsExpress.com should have something close to .5mH in 20ga and larger wires for low DCR.

Last edited:
**broken link removed**

This is listed as a 470uH RF choke? Will this work as the inductor? I've been wanting to build a similar circuit, but kind of put off on winding coils by hand. I think the circuit above is the 'Joule-Thief', but remember it differently.

A 470uH coil on a 1/4 inch dowel with 1/4 inch length using 30 gauge wire is only 30 feet of wire, you could wind one in half an hour with what you have a round the house if you have enough 30 gauge wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back