Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to interface dc motors with 8051

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe the ULN2003 is similar, but only has 7 outputs instead of 8 as the one your inquiring about. Both are rated for 500mA from memory, so if your motor requires more than that, Consider using a FET.

Heres a diagram on how to interface one with a unipolar stepper motor, a DC motor would be very similar, but only has a single winding to control;

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Generally because of the high current requirement of DC motors, FETs are the way too go. You can control copious amounts of current with a FET, and the IRL2203 is a great little logic driven FET.

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

You have to be careful about how much current the FET is driving & how long it takes to switch.

The FET has a bias point, where it has resistance as it turns on or off. During this phase, there will be a voltage dropped over the FET & current running through it - it can dissipate massive amounts of power in the form of heat.

Without a drive circuit, your FET will burn out over time. Logic devices are very limited to the amount of current they can deliver, and the problem is that the Gate acts like a capacitor, and takes time to "charge" and "discharge". A PIC micro is capable of 25mA MAX per output, pro-longing this charge time significantly. As a result, there’s an instantaneous heat build up, that will reduce the life of the FET every time it occurs.

Using a Drive circuit allows the FET to turn On and Off much faster, limiting the amount of time it spends at the "bias point" - reducing the heat developed on the FET.

Gramo, on your first schematic, you'r missing 4 other diodes between the ULN o/p and 12V... even if it works that way.. that's what we learnt in Power electronics... :)

hey thanx for providing me with circuit for interfacing but i am a lil confused , the circuit u provided is interfacing ULN2003A with PIC16F876. i want to know is PIC16F876 same as 8051? sorry the question may sound dumb but want to clear my doubt n also tell me that if i can use the same circuit with 8051?

ikalogic said:
Gramo, on your first schematic, you'r missing 4 other diodes between the ULN o/p and 12V... even if it works that way.. that's what we learnt in Power electronics... :)

Doesn’t the ULN2003 have those ones built in?

**broken link removed**

Pin 9 is the common to Vcc, and the built in diodes protect the ULN2003 from EMF caused by inductive loads, I could be wrong :confused:

Last edited:
gramo said:
Doesn’t the ULN2003 have those ones built in?

**broken link removed**

Pin 9 is the common to Vcc, and the built in diodes protect the ULN2003 from EMF cause by inductive loads, I could be wrong :confused:

no you'r not wrong, i am! :) but i usually add additional protection diodes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back