Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to Drill For LED Board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

koolguy

Hello,
How to Drill the Board for led sign. Actually i do it by Drill i need automatic Setup.

Hi,

Maybe find something somewhere with holes already drilled, then use that as a guide.
Small holes would be best then you can enlarge them later.

I had to do a few patterns in the past myself but what i did was used graph paper taped to the board to be drilled and a very very sharp center punch to mark the center of each hole. It's a very very difficult and tedious process to do it that way however, suitable only for a one-off project.

Consider a "flatbed CNC router", Google it.

A typical example here:

JimB

Maybe find something somewhere with holes already drilled, then use that as a guide.
Small holes would be best then you can enlarge them later.

I had to do a few patterns in the past myself but what i did was used graph paper taped to the board to be drilled and a very very sharp center punch to mark the center of each hole. It's a very very difficult and tedious process to do it that way however, suitable only for a one-off project.
The last time I used graph paper to lay out a board for etching and drilling was early 1990s, before I had a PC. Nowadays I would print out a 1:1 scale guide and center-punch it. Another possibility, if the entire board were laid out on a 0.100" grid, would be to make a sandwich with printed guide on top, perfboard in middle, and etched board on bottom. Get them lined up and fastened together, and you don't need a center punch; the perfboard ensures that the bit doesn't wander. If you're making a small run of identical boards, carefully drill the first one using either of those methods, then use the first one as a guide to drill the others. You could even stack a few and drill them all together.

Hi,

Yes i've done that too, with the PC and printing the pattern, but that is also hard to do with the hand punch.

What else i've done is use a pre-drilled perf board with holes spaced 0.1 inch. That is clamped on top of the board to be drilled, and holes marked as to which ones to drill and which ones not to drill. The bit is sized to fit into the holes without making them larger. Works reasonably well for one-off pieces or maybe a couple pieces. That sounds similar to what you were doing too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back