Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to display Words On LCD Screen without programming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KYTan

Hi. I want to ask it is possible to display words on LCD screen without using programming?
The output signal is in the form of binary. The conditions are as below:

If S=3(0011), display "Win".
If S=0(0000) or S=6(1010), Display "Lose".
If S= 1(0001), 2(0010),4(0100) or 5(0101), Display "Draw".

Thank you. Your help will be appreciated.

..is it possible to display words on LCD screen without using programming?...

Only if you get someone else to do the PIC programming for you...;)

Sounds like someone is planning to play electronic craps with a single die. My PC will do that and the results are displayed on my LCD monitor screen. In fact, this entire message is displayed on my LCD screen, and I didn't do any programming. :D

I suspect one can buy small key pads with an LCD display attached. Have you checked places like SparkFun?

John

Agree with Mike... a discrete hardware solution would involve dozens of gates and flip-flops, one shots and oscillators.

OTOH, using a microcontroller, even one as simple as a PICAXE 08M2, this project could be done with a single IC and perhaps 10 lines of code (using a serial LCD display).

I come all the way from vacuum tubes, discrete transistor, progressing to CMOS logic.......programming scared me.......until I found the PICAXE about 5 years ago and haven't looked back since.

Well, you could with a custom LCD screen. :)

You can reduce the programming complexity by using a serial LCD or one that uses I2C, Take a look at www.pcaxe.com It just may be understandable for you.

You cannot avoid it...

The conditions are as below:

If S=3(0011), display "Win".
If S=0(0000) or S=6(1010), Display "Lose".
If S= 1(0001), 2(0010),4(0100) or 5(0101), Display "Draw".

You should be tremendously lucky to find an LCD display doing exactly THAT.

Get someone doing the programming for you. Somewhat trivial, have to say.

If you use a static-drive starburst segmented LCD display you can do in a straight-forward manner. It could be done with 8 opamps (4 for logic decoding and 3+1 for driving the 3 different words and the display-drive oscillator) and a multitude of passives to combine the signals.

Starburst example attached.
R351754-01.jpg

I like the custom LCD screen idea, but instead make a custom LED backlit screen. If you use a clear sheet of plastic and put 3 cutouts behind it, with 3 sets of leds you can display 3 messages. The 3 words can be printed on a bubblejet or laserprinter on clear film and put behind the sheet.

I think you could make a nice looking custom display with a little bit of work. Driving it is then as simple as lighting up 1 of the 3 LEDs.

Now I found out that I not need to display the words on LCD screen. I only need to use Leds to represent them. However, the problem is I dunnoe how to decide which leds should light up according the conditions above. By the way, How to make a touch plate?

You can learn to cheat. Use data selectors: **broken link removed**

Yous use the address input as your binary value and the out put would be a 1 for the condition. For "Draw" you set up the addresses 001, 0010 and 0101 to be 1 and all the others to be zero. The output becomes a logic 1, when any those conditions are met. Don't forget the strobe or chip select or whatever it's called.

You only have one condition for the other two data selectors.

I hope this isn't homework.

The "old style" way is to make a Karnaugh map and use the right number and kind of gates.

This is a assignment.If use keypad to key in the two decimal numbers, X and Y, how to sum them up to display on the seven segment?How to indicate "Win", "Loss" and "Draw" using LEDS? For examples, if the sum of X and Y is 3 how to make sure the output go to the "win" Led?

Without programming?

We have no idea how your keypad works. Usually it's a row/column scan thingy, but if it's something else, like you get two 4 bit numbers, well...

Hi. May I ask the outputs of 4x4 keypad are in decimal or binary?

hi,
This type of keypad is made for both outputs, bin or decimal, you have to specify the type when ordering.

Whats the application.?

How does the keypad work? A switch for 1, a switch for 2 and a switch for 3 or 001 for 1, 010 for 2 or 011 for 3. Active high? Active low? Row/colum? There are so many ways.

The application is as below:

A game called ‘Win, Lose or Draw’ is played using two 4-faced dice shaped as pyramids. The faces on each dice are numbered 0, 1, 2 and 3. A player rolls the two dice, labelled X and Y. The outcome of a roll is one of 16 possibilities. Design and implement a hardware device that will simulate the game of ‘Win, Lose or Draw’.
 Your design should accept decimal numbers, X and Y, where X and Y result from rolling of the pyramid dice.
 Compute the sum, S = X + Y.
 Determine the game outcome:
o Win if S = 3
o Lose if S = 0 or S = 6
o Draw if S = 1, 2, 4 or 5
 Display the outcome (Win, Lose or Draw) of the game.
 Show all the design steps and explain the functionality of this circuit clearly.
 Demonstrate your circuit to verify the specifications.

I going to use 4x4 keypad as the inputs for both number X and Y. X will be X0 and X1 and Y will be Y0 and Y1. Both binary numbers will be added and 3 k-maps are formed. 3 leds will represents "win" , "lose" and "draw" respectively. However , how to light up the leds according to the conditions above. Can use multiplexer to solve it?

One of my course mates did it. He used two encoders and one full adder but how to randomise the inputs for the encoders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back