Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, same here. The thing was that we had a really small school district, so I was suddenly working alongside the folks who had been my teachers for most of my life.

My first school was really small, I started at three years old, it had one room, one teacher (no other staff), and the toilets were outside in the yard, it was in a small village called Birchover. At eight years old I moved to the 'big school' at Stanton-In-Peak - where there were two classrooms, indoor toilets, and even dinner ladies :D

At 11 years old, after passing my 11 plus, I went to Lady Manners Grammer School which at that time had 600 plus pupils, and teachers who wore gowns and mortar boards. It was like being in one of those old B&W school films :D. Manners went comprehensive the year I left, and built a big new extension, so has a lot more kids now.

BTW, if you check the school photos, I'm on the 1968 and 1970 ones! - and that's all the info I'm giving.

*AUDIO READ THIS AND REPLY*
I call people Sir and Ma'am out of courtesy. Audioguru is just afraid to leave his little house. Perhaps you should stay there? What is wrong with calling people Sir and ma'am when they either don't know another greeting or are just being courteous. Audioguru is indeed a bigot. As for your apparent hate for school children, you were probably abused as a child and so you have a fear of them. I forgot who pointed this out in a previous thread somewhat like this, but they really showed that you have pedofobia.

Heres a link just for you!
PHOBIA OF CHILDREN: Treatment and Hope

Before you reply Audioguru, explain to us why you act like such a jerk to people who don't meet your biased definitions?

Audioguru is another somewhat eccentric old fart, like me. He has his shortcomings, as we all do. In spite of them, he is one of the best, if not the best, contributor on this forum. He's not gonna change. Cut him some slack.

One little school kid here is pestering me the same as the thousands of little school kids who pester me with PMs demanding that I do their homework for them.
I am not afraid of little school kids and I am also not afraid of mosquitoes that also pester me.

I don't "forget" a person's name and therefore I don't address them with SIR or MADAM. I learn their name (I even write it down in case I forget) and address people by their name.

I don't "forget" a person's name and therefore I don't address them with SIR or MADAM. I learn their name (I even write it down in case I forget) and address people by their name.

haha, I don't remember most people's names very well. It's not so much that I forget it as it is that I never learned it to begin with. So I'm usually like..."Hi!" or "Hey!" and then say whatever I have to say. If I've only met you briefly before and I say "Hey <your name>" I'm probably doing that conciously to show that I remembered your name and that you're special somehow (so you're either a good friend, or a girl, or my boss). Hell, even if you're amongst a group of people I'll walk up to you or look at you before speaking rather than using your name to get your attention amongst a gathering.

Probably because, from my perspective, so many people know my name when they really shouldn't and it always catches me off guard.

Last edited:
Audioguru is another somewhat eccentric old fart, like me. He has his shortcomings, as we all do. In spite of them, he is one of the best, if not the best, contributor on this forum. He's not gonna change. Cut him some slack.

I agree--I've never seen AG mention race. Language, yes; age, yes; but it also seems to me that anyone who steps up to the plate and puts in the effort, also tends to get a hand from him.

I get the feeling he's more anti-lazy than anti-anything-else. Not that he needs me to defend him; I just happen to think he's one of the most valuable members of this forum.

Torben

*AUDIO READ THIS AND REPLY*
I call people Sir and Ma'am out of courtesy. Audioguru is just afraid to leave his little house. Perhaps you should stay there? What is wrong with calling people Sir and ma'am when they either don't know another greeting or are just being courteous. Audioguru is indeed a bigot. As for your apparent hate for school children, you were probably abused as a child and so you have a fear of them. I forgot who pointed this out in a previous thread somewhat like this, but they really showed that you have pedofobia.

Heres a link just for you!
PHOBIA OF CHILDREN: Treatment and Hope

Before you reply Audioguru, explain to us why you act like such a jerk to people who don't meet your biased definitions?

You miss all those red squares don't you...

Personal attacks, from a moderator no less, shouldn't be so biased.

I don't remember anything about hating kids in general, just pesky school kids expecting someone to do their school work for them. Pretty sure the kids that do their own work, dislike those lazy little bastards as well.

I think its more a matter of disinterest than dislike. Many things to do and so little time, why waste it on people so lazy. Audioguru isn't as bad as you think, you just do consider what he has to say too deeply...

Hi Guys,
Do you believe it?
I received a threatening PM from the second youngest person on this website:
"Dear audioguru,

You have received an infraction at Electronic Circuits Projects Diagrams Free.

Reason: Insulted Other Member(s)
-------
Be nice to fellow members. Have a nice day
-------

This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.
Krumlink"

He claims that I insulted him. No I didn't. I laughed that he seems to do anything that he wants.
He insulted me. His powers should be taken away until he matures.

How does the saying go? Something about how the truest measure of a man is how he handles power.

Mostly Krumlink is a good kid, but moderator abilities should not be used as a weapon in a personal dispute; that's just childish.

Torben

First, I think this thread got way out of hand and went way off topic. If I were a mod I would have locked it. With that said, I think both parties in this case are without blame:
In Krumlinks case
I call people Sir and Ma'am out of courtesy. Audioguru is just afraid to leave his little house. Perhaps you should stay there? What is wrong with calling people Sir and ma'am when they either don't know another greeting or are just being courteous. Audioguru is indeed a bigot.
Notice the last sentence. Not exactly nice.

Guru:
A little school kid is a moderator. HA, HA!

This could be construed as an insult.

So my point is, this as been a fart contest on both sides. I do feel however, that Krum using his authority to his advantage is improper. Further, he should remove any warnings, and both Guru and Krum should shake hands, swap sloppy kisses, and all is good.
I like the insight Guru brings to the forum and it would be a shame to see him leave over one silly thread. Even if does say eh!

And another thing...(There always is) Most peeps that visit this forum are looking for answers to a problem. In all my short time here, I have never seen Guru asking for advice, only giving it. It seems to me that the users need Guru a lot more than Guru needs them.

This is a forum to get advice on electronic circuits, and Guru gives that advice. What does it matter if he does not like you while he gives the advice (Just a point, not meaning he really does not like you) at the end of the day, you have your problem solved. I think Guru visits this forum because he wishes to share what he has learned over the years (Many years), in fact Guru should have like tenure or something. Maybe emeritus status.

the fact that a person is only giving and not asking for a long time shows indeed a comitment and in a nobel way

but that is not an excuse to be sarcastic or put people down for in my opinion sometimes ignorance reasons

a person may think that and also express that but it should be done in a respectfull way

Robert-Jan

I am with you Rj, I as well hate feeling like a turd due to sarcastic, condescending responses. But I am also able to shrug off comments that bother me, and I move on. But when I am in a pinch and my transistor is clipping more than my patience, I will glady take a few snide comments if a solutions follows. Free engineering advice is worth any sardonic comments I may have to endure.

I still believe the harsh and sarcastic comments some of you are complaining about, aren't meant to be abusive or hateful. He's making a point, and giving incentive to put a little more effort into solving your own problems, before asking. It's not really an uncommon teaching method, it reduces dependency. Wouldn't it be so nice to post your requirements, and receive a completed project by the end of the day? Why bother using a search engine, following dozens of links. Or crack open a few dusty books, and do a little math? Asking for help shouldn't be the first course of action for most of these people, and they should post something for the efforts they made on their own before asking. If you expect the easy answers, expect to pay the price of a few harsh words and a little sarcasm. Seems like a fair exchange to me.

Audioguru doesn't respond to every thread, nor are his posts always harsh when he offers help. It depends on the content of the request. How often do you see any of his 'offensive' comments, when the first post contains a schematic or some reference? Maybe I was just fortunate to have a few really good teachers in my life, that just didn't force me to memorize material, but instead taught me how to think and learn.

I really can't believe this thread has gone on so long. This site has a large data base of past posts to search through, but we get people asking about many of the same topics over, and over again. Some of my favorites; shockers, making PCBs at home, flashing lights, ultrasonic dog repeller, bench power supply, battery charger... Perhaps there should be sort of an index menu, where we could put links to the threads that cover a topic well, or a completed project.

Audioguru is probably the most helpful person on board here, you guys just don't understand just how much. Some might be a little too subtle to pick up on, but it sinks in eventually. Once you learn how to teach yourself, you really have few limits. No incentive equals no effort.

7 pages of ?!?!?!?? in General Electronics Chat ?

- English is not my first language (it's actually 6th or 7th on my list)
- I always received useful answers in this forum, but most of those I was able to learn from were written by AG

Would someone please move this topic to "ChitChat" as this discussion has nothing to do with General Electronics Chat (except for the first post).

Make a sticky with Roff's Directions then put this thread in the Trash-Can.

I'll suggest a 'Homework' section on this website. Any oldie who goes there does so at his peril. Or may be we should set a parallel website for chaps above 50 and who are not Indians or South Africans.

Good gracious!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back