Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to add Ammeter in LT Spice Schematic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarek EEIT

It may sound so silly question but I am trying for last 2 hours and no result.

I have drawn the following schematic in LT Spice and want to add an ammeter in the black rectangle. In component menu, I don't find anything named ammeter.

**broken link removed**

Any clue? Your help is appreciated.

Ammeter?
I do a simulation. The cursor turns into a "voltage probe". If the probe is over R4 it will look like a "current probe". Click on the component to see a trace of it's current.

After simulation the voltage or current probe will read out at the bottom of screen.

You can't check the current or voltage between any node and ground directly, those are not real world wires they're virtual connections and are insubstantial, there's nothing traveling through them to measure. If you want to measure the total current of that circuit measure the current going through the voltage source.

This is a very basic circuit so measuring the current from the voltage source will be the same as putting a current probe at your boxed location.

If you every create circuits more complicated than this and need to measure current at a specific location you'd have to insert a resistor into the schematic as a reference point, simple chose a low value for resistance.

There is a way to add parasitic values to the trace lines in LTSpice, but even adding these parasitic values will not allow you to direclty measure anything associated with a wire, you can only ever measure from node points.

Last edited:
Try pressing the ALT key then hovering over the wire. This turns the voltage probe into a current probe. This should work. Failing that, insert a small microOhm resistor and do it that way.

If the current probe probes the current in the wrong direction, go into the plot pane, right click over the waveform icon at the top and put a minus sign (-) in front of the icon. This will reverse the current.

Let me know how you get on

Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back