Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How does a transistor amplify current or voltage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well thank you.

And gracious and humble too. And you did the 1000Ft tower climb as well. A few times.

Awesomeness always leaves me gobsmacked. People that do stuff and don't brag I automatically aspire to.

So glad to have your acquaintance. You are a good person.

Regards,
tvtech

4pyros,

"I think if new people to electronics stop thinking of transistors as amps and more like switches there would be a lot less confusion."

A BJT is an analog transconductance device, not a switch. It can be incorporated into a circuit that acts like a switch, but it does not have intrinsic on-off characteristics like a contact switch does.

Ratch

^^^ I still love you Ratch

Still me tvtech :wideyed:

I never change. I might disagree with the way you do stuff...but I always learn :)

As long as I keep being a good person, as poor as I am...I am OK.

I just know you are going to quote this...I know you by now. Hence few words :wideyed:

LOL :)Gotcha..

tvtech

Classically trained electrical engineers will condemn these statements because they are so into the amplification factors and equivalent circuits. But, it's just a variable resistor.

Nobody condemns these statements but they are extremely simplistic. It's like saying a plane is just a mechanical bird because they both fly. The 'variable' part of the 'resistance' is where the action is at. The 'how' and 'why' of that variation is what people spend years studying.

I love interesting people.

In the period of around 48 Hours I have met TWO top class people that hang out here....that have a a sense of humor too...

Never speak much..say little here..but have confidence in their ability....therefore time to play too...

Humor....how do you define it?. People that are Technical and know what they are doing and are working and are relying on their ability to cut it...will find time to play. As stressed as their day is..they make the time.

First of all ypyros..you were the one that shall I say "helped me back in" here at ETO a while back...no airs and graces..you knew it was me..and played along. An EE being a sport. Found time for fun as did Matt, Ian, Nigel and other Mods that maybe were aware of it. I will never ever forget that.
I have lots more to say and be happy about.

Secondly, naspook
I never knew you knew stuff. You also don't talk much. Last night you loosened up a little. So good to see.

Thirdly...not covered above is SteveB
Works his butt off helping all and sundry. Steve is the Forum leader. But no fun. Work, work, work kills.

OK. Before all of you get pissed off with me..and start thinking of throwing things at me...I am talking about new interesting developments/people.

Yes I know KISS you have slaved away. I know Ron has. I know Ratchit has too (more bottles).

Humor. Common, somebody has to do this.

Now you can ban me. I will take my little bag with all my possessions and sit across the road.

And play Chess again.

Love you all
tvtech

4pyros,

"I think if new people to electronics stop thinking of transistors as amps and more like switches there would be a lot less confusion."

A BJT is an analog transconductance device, not a switch. It can be incorporated into a circuit that acts like a switch, but it does not have intrinsic on-off characteristics like a contact switch does.

Ratch
Now you are just confusing things

I love interesting people.

In the period of around 48 Hours I have met TWO top class people that hang out here....that have a a sense of humor too...

Never speak much..say little here..but have confidence in their ability....therefore time to play too...

Humor....how do you define it?. People that are Technical and know what they are doing and are working and are relying on their ability to cut it...will find time to play. As stressed as their day is..they make the time.

First of all ypyros..you were the one that shall I say "helped me back in" here at ETO a while back...no airs and graces..you knew it was me..and played along. An EE being a sport. Found time for fun as did Matt, Ian, Nigel and other Mods that maybe were aware of it. I will never ever forget that.
I have lots more to say and be happy about.

Secondly, naspook
I never knew you knew stuff. You also don't talk much. Last night you loosened up a little. So good to see.

Thirdly...not covered above is SteveB
Works his butt off helping all and sundry. Steve is the Forum leader. But no fun. Work, work, work kills.

OK. Before all of you get pissed off with me..and start thinking of throwing things at me...I am talking about new interesting developments/people.

Yes I know KISS you have slaved away. I know Ron has. I know Ratchit has too (more bottles).

Humor. Common, somebody has to do this.

Now you can ban me. I will take my little bag with all my possessions and sit across the road.

And play Chess again.

Love you all
tvtech
We love you to Pal.

4pyros,

"Now you are just confusing things"

Nope, just telling it the way it is.

Ratch

We get a lot of posts on here about "energy harvesting" where the TS says something like I get 0.1V at 3uA and I want to "amplify" it to run my (house, cell phone, stereo, etc).

We get a lot of posts on here about "energy harvesting" where the TS says something like I get 0.1V at 3uA and I want to "amplify" it to run my (house, cell phone, stereo, etc).
So true, all they need is an amp

You are confusing the novices.
How do you know that? All novices? Since when has the truth about an old and mature technology confused anyone? If they don't understand something, they have only to ask.

Ratch

How do you know that? All novices? Since when has the truth about an old and mature technology confused anyone? If they don't understand something, they have only to ask.

Ratch
Its called teaching.
In the forums we have limited resources.
Sometimes its easier for some to grasp a complicated concept if its simplified.
Do you have a problem with that?

4pyros,

"All the time"

Hardly ever.

"And if they still don't get the concept."

Ask some more.

"Its called teaching."

It's called explaining. We don't have the resources to teach a technical couse with a syllabus and schedule. So we explain a subset of the technology that the beginner does not understand.

"Sometimes its easier for some to grasp a complicated concept if its simplified.
Do you have a problem with that?"

No, unless you fib about how something works. Like saying that the collector current of a BJT is controlled by the base current, when in fact, it is really controlled by the base-emitter voltage.

Ratch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back