Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how do you model a motor in LT spice

Status
Not open for further replies.

large_ghostman

Most Helpful Member
hi,
how do i model a 12V 1.2A motor in LT spice? i am guessing i have to use an inductor as the motor is a inductive load, but how do i work out what size inductor and do i need to add anything other than a inductor (i know about adding flyback diode i am just asking about to model a motor)

I like this model very much:

image002.gif

http://www.ecircuitcenter.com/Circuits/dc_motor_model/DCmotor_model.htm

I hope the website explains the details. If not, ask.

It is difficult to say what is the inductance of you motor winding etc. You need to measure the component, if you do not have a datasheet. You need total of 6 parameters to properly simulate an electric motor. The website has an example table of these parameters.

Last edited:
wow! thank you very much! a silly question but to measure the motor inductance do i simply hook up the LCR meter to the leads with the motor disconnected from everything? i know it sounds like a really silly question but i havnt done any inductance stuff with the meter yet

that is a brilliant site! it will take me a while to grasp it all especially the mechanical side but is a really great way to sim a motor! i am in luck and i know there is a datasheet for the fan i want to use! so i should be able to use real values, only just learning LTspice and already getting some results that i didnt expect so i will have to go through some simple tutorials to get the hang of it

To measure the motor inductance do i simply hook up the LCR meter to the leads with the motor disconnected from everything?

Yes. Disconnect the motor and make sure that the motor can't spin. Then try measuring from different positions (turn the shaft to different angle).. take an average of the measurements or something like that.. or the "best" measurement. It may give wrong measurement at some angles. Not sure.

I should have mentioned it is a BDLC with all the control stuff inside, sorry for leaving that bit out, i will give it a try anyway! i have tried the motor for real and taken measurements but i am trying to learn spice so i thought i would sim it and see how close it gets

Last edited:
thats useful for a couple of things, because my maths is weak i am learning maths via another maths forum and they ask for examples of what i am trying to learn, so that will be good for getting this kind of info! once i understand the maths a bit better that will be very useful thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back