Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do I turn off annoying "help bubbles" in XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThermalRunaway

The one thing I hate about Windows is that rather than allow me to continue with my work as I see fit, it insists on popping up it's own suggestions about how it thinks I should be doing things. I'd rather just be left alone to get on with things and, if I want help on something, I'll ask. One particular thing that gets on my nerves is the little pop-ups which I can only describe as "help bubbles" which appear in the bottom right hand corner tool bar near the clock. When I boot my computer it comes out with suggestion after suggestion after suggestion and the only way to get rid of them is to click on the "X" for each one. It's really annoying.

Does anyone know if it's possible to turn these suggestions off?

Brian

they say things like driver failed to install or updates are ready for your computer crap like that.

Ok,

1. Say you are copying thousands of files from a cdrom to harddisk and one file has read error. What should the OS do?

Logical way: pop up a message to tell you just that, and then finish off the remaining job.

What does Windows do In reality?

2. You are copying 5000 files from one directory to another and files with same name exists. Keep or overwrite?

Logical way: offer user choices of ask every file, overwrite for all, overwrite for more recent or not-overwrite for all

MyWay: ask every file, Overwrite if [tick boxes: Always, Never, Newer, older, bigger, smaller], append underscore to copied file with same name

What does Windows do In reality?

If a driver has failed to load you should probably find out what it is and fix it, or uninstall it...that would stop the popup message.

Notification of Windows updates can be turned off in the Automatic Updates control panel.

Mike

It pops up loads of other annoying things too though. For example, I don't have a software firewall installed (I let my router take care of that) so every time I boot it tells me I'm taking big risks and stuff. Ok fine, I'm taking a risk - mine to take. I just wish it wouldn't keep on about it. And there are loads of other silly messages that it pops up

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back