Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do I create a small heat supply using a rechargeable battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Towny

I have a school project in which I will be making a prototype for a heated ice fishing rod. I want to have a battery inside the handle of the rod and a wire that leads up to the tip so that it will not accumulate ice when being used in the dreadful winters of the Midwest. The problem is that I have no idea how to go about doing this. Any ideas on what to use, how to set it up, or just some basic knowledge on creating a heat source would be gratefully appreciated.
Thanks

I saw that but it was filed in 1965 (and expired). Do you think I go about it the same way that he did 50 years ago?

Maybe...expired Patent. Technology is better now :cool:
Still you have to think about your Market. For fishermen only...in very cold climates.
Sure you want one to help you....but the rest?

Regards,
tv

I doubt you are going to be able to fit the battery inside the rod handle. Do the maths regarding the amount of energy you need to heat the rod X degrees for Y hours, and compare that to the energy you can store in the battery you plan to use.

A string of low value resistors acting as a heater would be a good start.
Do you have any idea of the kind of wattage you'd need, thats the place to start.
You might get some lipo batteries in the handle, it depends how long you want to de ice for, if all night then you'd need a very large handle.

Any sport that needs a heater to prevent ice from forming on the sport equipment is definitely not my kind of sport. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back