Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do Cable Tone Generator/Tracers work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nigel Goodwin said:
Unfortunately though they almost always don't release the code, requiring you to buy it from them!.

EPE is far better, even more PIC articles, and the software is always a free download.
Now that you point that out, I read EPE too, EPE are more liberal with their code. BTW, EPE has started, with the December issue, a "PIC Teach-In", which will go on for 2008... :D

Super_voip said:
How's your Cat7 going, 100G must be fun.
I tend to avoid CAT6/7, because they are stiffer (harder to handle), and the connectors for CAT5 are so much easier/quicker to do. 100G?

Nigel Goodwin said:
DAB! - it started in the UK and was developed here, but coverage is useless and quality isn't as good as FM radio, and some channels are only in mono!.

Being the first is not always the best: **broken link removed**

After the UK adopted the DAB standard the rest of Europe decided to use DAB+. The French are thinking about using **broken link removed**

The other digital radio option is **broken link removed**. This has been designed for use with narrowband AM (LW,MW,SW). DAB is for Band I and above (L-
Band is used in Europe). DRM at frequencies above 30MHz is being investigated.

We in the UK continue with our record:
405 line TV
625 TV 6MHz sound carrier (rest of Europe 5.5MHz)
The UK diid get it right with PAL colour Television (There was a lobby proposing 405 line NTSC. France went SECAM)

CheapSlider said:
405 line TV
The UK diid get it right with PAL colour Television (There was a lobby proposing 405 line NTSC. France went SECAM)
Hehehe... I mention:
  • Left-hand-side driving.
  • Miles, pounds, stones, gallons, feet, etc...
  • UK-Mains plugs
  • No Euro
You have always gone your own way.
But you did do the hover-craft, the colossus, the radar, the steam engine, the spinning machine, and so on... I wouldn't say you're in the back-water technology wise, you just seem to pick the oddest adoptions and standards. BTW, please vote no MS-OOXML!!

CheapSlider said:

You need to put this into perspective!.

405 line TV

You seem to ignoring that the UK had the worlds first TV service, obviously it was likely to be the lowest spec one.

What was (is) wrong with that?, we adopted a superior 625 line TV system, with greater video bandwidth. The rest of Europe adopted a crippled system because they used VHF, the UK used UHF so could use greater channel spacing.

Yes, we got it right with PAL - except it was German of course, and not British! :D

But DAB was (and is) a disaster - a technological step backwards for no good reason?.

Radar, when did they invent that, the Germans had been playing with radar for 30 years before the british. The French also happened to find out all about radar before the british. Ahh yes Logie TV, how many vertical lines? Winners write the history.

Super_voip said:
Cat3 10Mb
Cat5 100Mb
Cat5e 350Mb
Cat6 1Gb
Cat6e 10Gb
Cat7 100Gb
Roughly
That is correct for some of the IEEE 802 standards, but CAT refers to category of cable, not it bandwidth.

Super_voip said:
I've only just encountered some ads from Krone for their Cat7 products.
I get 1Gb over Cat5e, on short runs.
In principle, that is not a problem. If you are in a relatively low-noise environment, CAT5e has a bandwidth of roughly up to 100MHz, but is degraded very quickly over distance. For a home network, where cables are of max length 10m, there is no issue using CAT5e for GB networking.

manoharfisher said:
can u give me the circuit ciscription of a cable or wire tracer.

I can probably make you a Tone Generator circuit, but I'm not skilled enough to design you a Inductive Probe circuit.

I belive, in essence, that it works just like a radio. You modulate the tone generators frequency so that it's within the tuned spectrum of the inductive probe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back