Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can i get the data from the corrupted CD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomHowe

Hello,
Im having an issue with a CD that has very important data in it. And now it is corrupted.
Any recommendations?

Typical from mishandling. Try on another CD unit first.
I did once recover data from a CD by lightly wiping oil onto its surface. Sort of filled scratches and was able to be read.

If it's CD, normally we get three types of damages: reading surface scratch, back chemical scratch or chemical damage due to old age. (DVD's chemical are protected by another layer of disc.)

Some CD shopkeepers use a round CD/DVD cleaner brush, fitted to a motor. Which removes scratches of reading surface and makes it readable. There are some tools in internet (like suggested by Ian Rogers) which copies the data from CD/DVD very slowly and carefully to recover, if their chemical back have been damaged partially. If the damage is huge, the tools won't be able to recover.

I have a little sister who is now six, i have had MILLIONS of different disks (games,DVD's etc etc) scratched beyond reading by her. The local Block Buster shop repairs scratches on the non printed side for £2 each, I ran out of cash very very quickly!!
So through trial and error I found baby toothpaste mixed into a almost watery paste pushed lightly down on a rotating car mop covered in the paste cleaned them up a treat. You need to take time and apply equal pressure, dont spin the mop too fast and dont try and get rid of the scratches in 2 mins! The toothpaste is a very very mild abrasive and slowly takes away the scratches.
If the scratches are on the printed side....................Mostly its toast but you can get data off with segment readers so some things like pictures are recoverable, games are not

I have a little sister who is now six, i have had MILLIONS of different disks (games,DVD's etc etc) scratched beyond reading by her.
It's should be registered as a world record for the Guinness Book- the six years old child made scratched the 'MILLIONS' of disks! :)

20 odd is pretty close to MILLIONS when they are your CD's :D

I am new here, as 10 min ago, but it seems that SOME data may be unrecoverable. Witness that I have about 6 GB of photos on a 7 machine external drive, my 8 machine will not read them. File unrecognized, or somesuch. hope that 10 will fix that, else I go back to one of the 'Nux releases.

COULD I, I would have backed them all up when I bought them and allowed her to play them. Hell, I back up everything.

George

I am new here, as 10 min ago, but it seems that SOME data may be unrecoverable. Witness that I have about 6 GB of photos on a 7 machine external drive, my 8 machine will not read them. File unrecognized, or somesuch. hope that 10 will fix that, else I go back to one of the 'Nux releases.

COULD I, I would have backed them all up when I bought them and allowed her to play them. Hell, I back up everything.

George
If win 10 (utter rubbish) cant read them DO NOT try recovery just yet, find someone with a LINUX machine or download and install linux (any flavor) on a virtual drive or another machine. DONT install it on the drive with the data!
Linux is often able to read the files that windows cant, it may not be able to actually do anything with the file but I have recovered many files especially pics from damaged hard drives by copying the file to another HDD or DVD via a linux machine, then windows can normally read them.
Windows is rubbish and windows 10 is probably the worst system ever. on the surface it looks better than win 8.1 but we use mobile tethering, we have noticed the win 10 machine eats 4X the bandwidth of win a win 7 machine when they both sit there supposedly doing nothing. Win 10 is in constant contact with a server and tries to get you to buy apps from a store, not good news if you have a data limit or are on a mobile. To those that like win 10 great! but please dont tell me its a awesome system, I have been on the win 10 program since it came out.
Most the posts in the microsoft forum they set up for those of us that had the original trial version were against the software, so much so MS shut the forum recently (it the insider program for win 10).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back