Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can I boost range on a RFID proximity detector?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thekyguy11

I bought one of these on ebay for a project of mine: **broken link removed**

I'm a little disappointed about the detection range. After I bought it, I realized I would really like the detection range to be more like 1-3 feet, instead of 1-3 inches. Is there any way to add range to it?

Thanks guys.

Attachments

• 8eed_1.JPG
    8eed_1.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 506
  • 0fef_1.JPG
    0fef_1.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 441
Actually, after thinking about it, a solid 10in range should suffice. I was thinking maybe using some kind of in-line signal amplifier for the antenna? I don't know enough about how these systems work to know how to approach this.

Have a read of **broken link removed**, it has details of how to make an aerial for these modules. It may not be applicable to your module but will give you some insight into how range can be increased. The same company also make a module with a range up to 2M.

Mike.

Range also has something to do with the environment. Can the tag be reliabily oriented? If the tag is flat to the reader antenna, that will give a better range than if the edge of the tag is facing the antenna. Is there any metal near the tag or between the tag and reader antenna? This will also affect reading distance. If the reader has an external antenna, a different antenna could help. Can your object with the RFID tag pass through a large loop antenna or do you only have access from one side?

the plan is to use it for a keyless access/starting system in a car. I was going to install the antenna in my seat, so I could leave my keys (the RFID key) in my pocket and be able to start my car. the "key" would be on a key chain surrounded by other regular keys. This RFID has an ecternal antenna, so I was thinking I'm going to have to play with building a different antenna and see if I can get some better range out of it. Thanks!

Another sure way of increasing the range of such devices is to use active tags instead of passive tags. You would have to keep changing the battery once in a year or so, but I am sure that this does help. The active tags keep sending a pulse to the reader all time and whenever the reader is in proximity the communication is established.

Where can I find active keys? I wonder if I could still use the reader I have and program it to an active key. I'll have to look into this. Thanks!

I own the exact same unit as the one you purchased and it's VERY selective as to what RFID tags can be used with it. Though I'm not 100% positive I'll say you cannot use an active RFID tag, I've not been able to get the two to work together. knowing of your other project I'd like to ask the question are you sure you need it? Once the RFID tag has been interrogated and accepted you can forget about it, can't you? You authenticate yourself, start a timer in your 18f1320 and it gives you a predetermined amount of time to either start your car, get in or whatever else you should choose. If the time period has lapsed then it can set a DeAuth bit and make you ReAuth to perform said action. If your car is already running nothing more need be done, if you and the running car are somehow parted you have bigger issues to deal with.

Last edited:
boost the range!

hi! maybe we have the same problem... i also need help regarding my thesis. it's about an active proximity device with 125KHz frequency that would be used for asset tracking within 80 meters. but the problem is, i need an intermediary device in order for me to meet that 80 meters or at least boost the read range of the reader. can somebody out there help me? it's urgent... i need it so bad. please mail me at catalyst_aity2009@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back