Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Homemade plate caps

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybob

Hello again, I have eighteen 8 inch by 5 3/4 inch plexiglas plates that I want to make two 9 plate capacitor banks for a smaller Tesla coil.
Would glueing the 6 inch by 4 inch aluminum foil strips directly to the plexiglas work? I have marine epoxy that says to work well with these material. If you think that will work I will glue a thin layer on the bottom and top of the aluminum foil as well as the edges.
Finally do you think I should make one large cap? Two caps? Or three 6 layer plexiglas caps?
Thank you,
Ben

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 306
Also here is a picture.
I think I’m going to put it in a small container or something filled with oil.

Attachments

• 31E3783F-677C-430C-995C-BFCE77389DC5.jpeg
    31E3783F-677C-430C-995C-BFCE77389DC5.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 292
Last edited:
I made a glass plate cap and it does ok but there is a lot of corona discharge and a few arced even with almost two inches spacing from edge of glass

I made a glass plate cap and it does ok but there is a lot of corona discharge and a few arced even with almost two inches spacing from edge of glass

How did you clean the glass before making it? While not really a conductor Super Glues do conduct especially at high voltages, so if you used super glue and didn't wait for it to out gas before stacking the plates you may have caused pathways for corona.

How did you clean the glass before making it? While not really a conductor Super Glues do conduct especially at high voltages, so if you used super glue and didn't wait for it to out gas before stacking the plates you may have caused pathways for corona.
Well I dampened a cloth to clean the glass then dried it off. I didn’t use glue.

Cleaning the glass with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) would probably be good idea. It will dry quickly and leave a clean surface.

Cleaning the glass with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) would probably be good idea. It will dry quickly and leave a clean surface.

Does that go for plexiglas? Also the Dielectric constants chart you have above suggests glass having a higher breakdown voltage than plexiglas, but I had really cheap dollar tree glass frames does that make a difference and the link I sent suggest plexiglas to have a higher breakdown voltage or am I misreading it?

Well, I'l be glueing the plexiglas plates this evening with the resin/epoxy mix. I'll trim the corners so there is no sharp edges on the foil and I think I'll make two caps. Once I find a container I'll submerge the caps in oil.
Does making two caps reduce the risk of arcing? Or does that not have a factor?

Those are basically beer bottle caps right?
I thought about those, but they would take up a lot of space, as well as they can get heavy, and I might as well do something with the supplies I have. Next time I think I'll try a cap that I saw with plastic cups and foil. Even though it's incredibly cheap the results seem pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back