Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High power current sense resistor with low values are rare?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyback

Hello,
We are doing a 680W boost converter (vin = 18V-28V, VOUT = 34V)
we need a high power current sense resistor of 3W or more.
All I can find is the CSS2725 series by Stackpole, but it only comes in 250uR, 500uR or 1mH.

Is there a range of 3W+ current sense resistors with values in between these?

CSS2725
https://www.seielect.com/catalog/sei-css_cssh.pdf

I went to digikey.com
Searched for RESISTOR.
Clicked on Chip Resistor Surface mount.
Selected 3 watt resistors and Resistance range (0.1m to 1m) ohm
Now I can see 8 Manufacturers. Values of: 0.3, 0.5 and 1mohm.

I think you need a current sense transformer.
>very little current loss.
>no high current resistor.

Thanks RonSimpson...you confirm my fears that a range of close values at sub 1 milliohm levels just doesn't happen.......I wish to see a family of resistors of 500uR, 560uR , 620uR, 750uR, 820uR, 910uR,...AT 3W plus, ( or even 2W+)....but they just don't occur? , anywhere?

You're right, I really need the current sense transformer, but my boss insists on using the LT3791-1 controller and with that part, with buck and boost modes, its impossible to implement a current sense transformer, due to the different direction source currents across buck and boost modes.

LT3791-1 datasheet
http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/datasheet/37911fa.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back