Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hey like my math on the "Beck Mickle hydro generator"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I agree, especially when the US gallon is different to the UK gallon.

I don't have a problem with Fahrenheit, but if I had it my way everyone would measure temperature in Kelvin because they're no negative numbers to worry about.

ljcox said:
Yes, in 1964 I became so fed up with measuring in 1/8ths, 1/16ths, etc. that I ordered a metric rule from the hardware shop and have not used imperial since.

One of the best decisions our government made was to convert to metric in the 1970's.

No-one ever refers to temperature in degrees F now, most measure their weight in kg but many, including the young still refer to people's height in feet.

It is just a matter of accepting the advantages of metric (and the hopelessness of imperial) and becoming familiar with metric.

It also pays to remember that Volts, Amps, Watts, Ohms, coulomb, etc. are metric units and fortunately, no-one was silly enough to invent imperial versions.

Our turf, our rules :D. Just try doing electromagnetics in imperial lol.

Even the moon is going to be metric thanks to NASA. **broken link removed**

Mike.

P.S. The red bits are still imperial. :p
**broken link removed**

ljcox said:
I'm completely puzzled as to why they held on to imperial for so long.
Because America is an empire, we will never surrender our imperial units!

We will eventually return other countries to these units, one by one if necessary. We will be greeted as liberators.

We still use imperial in the UK for measuring, distance and speed on roads and the weight and height of people. Like I say I think it's high time to move to 100% metric and the US should join in too.

Oznog said:
Because America is an empire, we will never surrender our imperial units!

We will eventually return other countries to these units, one by one if necessary. We will be greeted as liberators.
I don't want to be liberated.

I gave imperial away as a bad joke even before the government introduced metric.

It reads like a table of ramdom numbers. 12" = 1 foot, 3 feet = 1 yard, 1760 yards = 1 mile, etc. spare me!

ljcox said:
I don't want to be liberated.

I gave imperial away as a bad joke even before the government introduced metric.

It reads like a table of ramdom numbers. 12" = 1 foot, 3 feet = 1 yard, 1760 yards = 1 mile, etc. spare me!
Len, you forgot 1 millihelen=the amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

Well after finally reading this post I now I'm right in saying the yanks are so full of themselves, they think imperial measuring is still the best :p . Now Pommie has pointed out just how much of the world is still using imperial and outside the US there are only 3rd world countries using it. When I learnt my trade I used both systems and metric is the way to go as reading 18mm on a drawing is much easier then working out what 47/64" is. And the yanks always wonder why they are considered the most arrogant race on this earth. :D :D :D

Ron H said:
Len, you forgot 1 millihelen=the amount of beauty required to launch one ship.
Yes, I did. I'm glad you reminded me Ron. Perhaps the Troy weight came from the same area.

bryan1 said:
Well after finally reading this post I now I'm right in saying the yanks are so full of themselves, they think imperial measuring is still the best :p . Now Pommie has pointed out just how much of the world is still using imperial and outside the US there are only 3rd world countries using it. When I learnt my trade I used both systems and metric is the way to go as reading 18mm on a drawing is much easier then working out what 47/64" is. And the yanks always wonder why they are considered the most arrogant race on this earth. :D :D :D
We're not the most arrogant race on earth.

We're the most arrogant people on earth.:D

Besides - we're not really arrogant. We're just better than everyone else.:rolleyes::eek:

Last edited:
Of course we're the most arrogant animal on earth!

We're the only animal with the sense to be able to be arrogant!

Arrogant is an understatement.
In the 70's, Canada joined the world in converting and accepting a superior system of measure. I never looked back since. I also was brought up with both metric and imperial system in place, and yes, metric is the way to go.
I remember the USA wanting to or was supposed to join in, but the people were ignorant enough to say that the markets would suffer, and all hell would break loose in the trade of goods, between countries.

What better system is there?? Look around you, and be aware of your environment.
Water freezes at 0C. Boils at 100C.This is the most plentiful element on earth, and why not use it to your advantage, Incorporate it in a unit of measure. 1 liter of water, weighs exactly 1 kilo.
1 meter is 100 centimeter or 1000 millimeters.
I have to wonder, where did 32F ever come into the equation that at that temperature water froze?? At least 0 Celsius, makes sense.

The US will have to bend over like everyone else did years ago. All their cars are made, designed and engineered in metric, along with all robotics, military, aerospace and the tools to build these. In fact you Americans have already converted, but the majority of you don't know it, as all manufacturing involving CNC or precision operations, is done in METRIC.
The bolts holding those cars together are all metric. So now American mechanic needs "metric" tools.
Just give in already. Look around you. You and countless 3rd world countries, are behind in progress.
It reminds me, spring is coming soon. I'm not looking forward to being homeless again.

We have roads here??????

Do they teach anything about the rest of the world in your schools????
Who are your neighbors or biggest trade partners, allies etc....????
Arrogant??? Go figure.

Arrogance makes the world go round

The U.S. was the first country on the planet to officially go metric. The treaty in Paris, in the late 1800's recognizing metrics, was signed first by the United States. We just happen to like our antiquated system of measurement.
It keeps our people from inventing too many things, thus helping the rest of the world keep up. It would be a real shame to rellegate europe to third world status. (where it really belongs)

That is rather arrogant!

Much of the science we use today was developed in Europe during the last 500 years.

I remember a story I heard some years ago about an American company that sent some fine wires to Europe to illustrate how good their technology was. The Europeans sent them back with holes drilled down the centre!

I found a error on the webpage:

Makes use of recycled plastic.

The Beck Mickle hydro generator contains the water for the full drop of the device, converting about 70 per cent of the energy into electricity.

LOL

bryan1 said:

Well on the contrary, many people in the US (like me!) are trying to use meteric.
Its just that the schools teach imperial. If they taught meteric, they would be met with minor resistance. We arent ignorant, were just richerand more fortunate:rolleyes:

It is just a matter of familarity and practice.

I find metric much easier to use than Imperial. In fact I bought a metric rule about 10 years before the government changed us to metric and have used it ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back