Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with single stage coil gun project!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alfax

Hey Electro Tech!
You see, in my school, when you reach 10th grade, you need to think on a project for the project week, which is every year in october.
For my project Ive chosen a single-stage coilgun, and I just cant find any tutorials on the internet on how to make a simple one! All I find are huge schematics on how to make a multi-stage coilgun with professional electronics. I need to buy all of the hardware needed for the project before this friday, so me and my team can get the single-stage coilgun assembled by the 7th of October! Is there any easy, and simple schematic for my project? I just cant understand any of those complex, professional schematics. Im sure theres an easy single-stage coilgun schematic out there, but I just cant find it anywhere!
Can you guys help me? Getting this project done before the 7th of October is everything for me, and it might help me get some reputation with the guys of my physics team.

its been a while since i looked at these guns, but i belive the most basic gun uses the circuitry from the flash in a camera. store energy over time into a big capacitor and then release it all in one go into a coil, the metal object is pulled into the coil and fired down the barrel

It will need some tweaking etc on your part but all in all pretty basic stuff

Last edited:
How do I store energy in a capacitor? And how do I release it? See? Thats why I need a tutorial. I know nothing! I only know about computer stuff and hacking, but when it comes to physcis, im screwed!

Uhhh, any help guys? I still dont know how to make a single-stage coil gun... Can you guys please help me? You are my last chance!

Uhhh, any help guys? I still dont know how to make a single-stage coil gun... Can you guys please help me? You are my last chance!

Don't get all worked up!

I built a low voltage coil gun before, but not a high voltage one.

Low voltage-24vdc + 2 giant capacitors+coil+projectile= coil gun strong enough to shoot a nail a few inches!

1. If you try to build a low voltage coil gun, it won't be very powerful.:(

2. If you want to build one like in the video, you will need a high-voltage source, a high voltage capacitor or two, and an SCR that can withstand a very high pulse current.

I know this might sound retarded, but can you please ''translate'' that schematic for me? I have no idea how to read it. I would be greateful. By the way, is that the schematic you used for your low voltage coil gun? And if it is so, then can I plug a high voltage source to it, so the shooting force is stronger?

I din't think you know enough about this stuff to make coilgun, or without killing yourself.

I thought about that long ago mate. Actually, all I want for my project is to be creative. Do you have any idea for a good project? Because I just cant think on a good one.

I know this might sound retarded, but can you please ''translate'' that schematic for me? I have no idea how to read it. I would be greateful. By the way, is that the schematic you used for your low voltage coil gun? And if it is so, then can I plug a high voltage source to it, so the shooting force is stronger?

You can't "translate" a cirucit!

Just to give you a hint, see the power inputs on the left side of the circuit?, well they say "HV+" and "HV-", which means high voltage positive and high voltage negative(ground).

I thought about that long ago mate. Actually, all I want for my project is to be creative. Do you have any idea for a good project? Because I just cant think on a good one.

Build a simple circuit that uses a battery for power, and a switch to turn a lightbulb on and off.
Then do more complex stuff.

See, the thing is, you can't just say out of the blue, OOOH, I wanna do this circuit!. It takes time, practice and understanding of what you are dealing with!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back