Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddie lamberth

Hey there new to these so I got a quick question. I'm building a Christmas light controller to make the lights blink . I'm using a 120v mechanical relay but the relay can't handle the rapid on and off. And began to over heat very quickly . What relay would be best and can handle turn on and off hundreds of times in a matter of minutes? Would a solid state relay work?
Thanks guys
IMG_20171124_213857035~2.jpg

over heat very quickly
How hot?
Please show me the data on the side of the relay. Current=? Voltage=? Coil voltage=? or part number and I can find the data
----edited-----
How much power is going through the lights? It is real easy to get 20 amps of lights on one string.

The relay started smoking and we're burning up . I only had one string of lights just trying it out .I was pull .3 amps
So I was no where near the limit but the relay just couldn't take the fast pulsing

If you are applying 120Vac to the coil of a relay rated for 24Vac, I am not surprised that it started to smoke....

How are you driving the relay coil?
If you are applying 120Vac to the coil of a relay rated for 24Vac, I am not surprised that it started to smoke....
If you are using 24 volts DC then you are also in trouble! There is a big difference between AC and DC for the coil on the relay. If this is the case there is a trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back