Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help with LCD module

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsdsds

All right I am desperate now! I’m trying to run an OPTREX DMC-50244 LCD module (Hitatchi 44780 compatible) LCD module. I’ve hooked it up to a programmed pic 16F84A and it simply just won’t work. It won’t even display a cursor. I’ve read the manual (several times) and my code is based on examples from the net. I’ve checked my program a dozen times and it seams to be working properly. I followed the initialization procedure very carefully and put sufficient delays. I have no emulator so I used some LEDs to track.
I also checked the circuit. Im not sure about one thing: The 14-pin pinout for the optrex is not a 1x 14 row. It is 2 x 7 row labeled like this:

13 14
o o
o o
o o
o o
o o
o o
o o
1 2

Now, my question is how are they numberd ? I think it is like this:

...etc
5 6
3 4
1 2

or, is it actually:

....etc
5 6
4 3
1 2

Also, Is there any way to test the module without hooking it up to a mcu?
Should I get at least a cursor by just powering it up?

all the HD44780 compatable LCDs i have used, once u have powered up, and set the contrast level (normaly the PD between GND and Vcc)

if u just let all the other pins be low from power on (start condition) and slowly adjust the contrast potentiomitor, until u have a row of black rectangles, all the "locations" might not be black, the contrast is the same accross the whole LCD don't worry!

IT WAS THE CONTRAST PIN!!! WHOOOOHOOO!! I just had to adjust the 10k pot.

Great!!

Thanks a million guys!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back